On the Global Evolution of Self-Gravitating Matter. Nonlinear Interactions in Gowdy Symmetry
- 144 Downloads
We are interested in the evolution of a compressible fluid under its self-generated gravitational field. Assuming here Gowdy symmetry, we investigate the algebraic structure of the Euler equations satisfied by the mass density and velocity field. We exhibit several interaction functionals that provide us with a uniform control on weak solutions in suitable Sobolev norms or in bounded variation. These functionals allow us to study the local regularity and nonlinear stability properties of weakly regular fluid flows governed by the Euler–Gowdy system. In particular, for the Gowdy equations, we prove that a spurious matter field arises under weak convergence, and we establish the nonlinear stability of weak solutions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Both authors gratefully acknowledge support from the Simons Center for Geometry and Physics, Stony Brook University, at which some of the research for this paper was performed. The second author (PLF) was partially supported by the Innovative Training Network (ITN) Grant 642768 (entitled ModCompShock) and by the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS). This paper was completed when the second author was a visiting fellow at the Courant Institute for Mathematical Sciences, New York University.
- 6.Dafermos, C.M.: Hyperbolic balance laws in continuum physics. In: Nonlinear problems in theoretical physics (Proc. IX G.I.F.T. Internat. Sem. Theoret. Phys., Univ. Zaragoza, Jaca, 1978), Lecture Notes in Phys., 98, Springer, Berlin, 1979, pp. 107–121Google Scholar
- 7.Dafermos, C.M.: Hyperbolic Conservation Laws in Continuum Physics, Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften, vol. 325. Fourth edn, Springer, Berlin (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Grubic, N., LeFloch, P.G.: Weakly regular Euler–Gowdy spacetimes with Gowdy symmetry. The global areal foliation. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 2008, 391–428 2013Google Scholar
- 15.Le Floch, B., LeFloch, P.G.: On the global evolution of self-gravitating matter. Nonlinear interactions in \(T^2\) symmetry, Preprint, 2018Google Scholar
- 16.Le Floch, B., LeFloch, P.G.: On the global evolution of self-gravitating matter. Nonlinear interactions in spherical symmetry, in preparationGoogle Scholar
- 17.LeFloch, P.G.: Hyperbolic systems of conservation laws. The theory of classical and nonclassical shock waves, Lectures in Mathematics, ETH Zürich, Birkhäuser 2002Google Scholar
- 21.LeFloch, P.G., Smulevici J.: Weakly regular T2-symmetric spacetimes. The future causal geometry of Gowdy spaces. J. Differ. Equ. 260, 1496–1521 2016Google Scholar