Bisphosphonate-induced orbital inflammation: more common than once thought?
To report two cases of bisphosphonate-induced orbital inflammation, discuss the clinic-radiological features and management options, and highlight the increasing frequency of an association previously considered extremely rare. A retrospective review of two cases presenting to our department, and review of the literature reporting this association. Two new cases of bisphosphonate-induced orbital inflammation were added to the literature. The first occurred in the context of a risedronate re-challenge, and the second with zoledronic acid. Both cases were managed successfully with topical steroids. Clinicians prescribing bisphosphonates, particularly for the first time, should be aware of the increasingly reported association with orbital inflammation. The presence of suggestive clinical features should prompt urgent referral to an ophthalmologist for appropriate management.
KeywordsBisphosphonate Orbital inflammation Risedronate Zoledronic acid
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The content of this submission has not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere.
Declaration of Helsinki
The report adhered to the ethical principles outlined in the 2013 amended Declaration of Helsinki.
- 1.NICE (2017) TA464: bisphosphonates for treating osteoporosis. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 2.Mbekeani JN, Slamovits TL, Schwartz BH, Sauer HL (1999) Ocular inflammation associated with alendronate therapy. Arch Ophthalmol 117(6):837–838Google Scholar
- 4.Lefebvre DR, Mandeville JT, Yonekawa Y, Arroyo JG, Torun N, Case Series FSKA (2016) Review of bisphosphonate-associated orbital inflammation. Ocul Immunol Inflamm 24(2):134–139Google Scholar
- 5.Pirbhai A, Rajak SN, Goold LA, Cunneen TS, Wilcsek G, Martin P et al (2015) Bisphosphonate-induced orbital inflammation: a case series and review. Orbit (Amsterdam, Netherlands) 34(6):331–335Google Scholar
- 11.Missotten G, Verheezen Y (2010) Orbital inflammation after use of zoledronic acid for metastasized prostate carcinoma. Bull Soc Belge Ophtalmol 315:23–24Google Scholar
- 14.Yeo J, Jafer AK (2010) Zolendronate associated inflammatory orbital disease. N Z Med J 123(1323):50–52Google Scholar
- 16.Ortiz-Perez S, Fernandez E, Molina JJ, Sanchez-Dalmau B, Navarro M, Corretger X et al (2011) Two cases of drug-induced orbital inflammatory disease. Orbit (Amsterdam, Netherlands) 30(1):37–39Google Scholar
- 19.Peterson JD, Bedrossian EH Jr (2012) Bisphosphonate-associated orbital inflammation--a case report and review. Orbit (Amsterdam, Netherlands) 31(2):119–123Google Scholar
- 21.Kunzmann V, Bauer E, Feurle J, Weissinger F, Tony HP, Wilhelm M (2000) Stimulation of gammadelta T cells by aminobisphosphonates and induction of antiplasma cell activity in multiple myeloma. Blood 96(2):384–392Google Scholar
- 22.Mbekeani JN, Slamovits TL, Schwartz BH, Sauer HL (1999) Ocular inflammation associated with alendronate therapy. Arch Ophthalmol 117(6):837–838Google Scholar