Profile and outcome of patients with recurrent urogenital fistula in a fistula centre in Nigeria
- 31 Downloads
Introduction and hypothesis
Management of a recurrent urogenital fistula is very challenging and requires experienced surgeons. The aim of this study was to describe the characteristics, success rates, and associated factors related to surgical repairs of patients with recurrent urogenital fistulas by an experienced team at a fistula centre in Nigeria.
This was a retrospective cohort study of 154 patients that had repeat urogenital fistula repairs at the National Obstetric Fistula Centre, Abakaliki, Nigeria, between January 2014 and December 2016. Information was retrieved from their hospital records. Successful repair was defined by continent status at 3 months after repair. Data were analyzed with SPSS version 20 by IBM Inc., and p < 0.05 was taken as statistically significant. Chi-square test was used to determine the association between the factors and successful repair.
The mean age was 36.27 ± 12.96 years. Obstetric fistula occurred in 92.2% of the patients. The success rates for the first, second, third, and fourth repeat repairs were 68.8%. 56.2%, 50%, and 0% respectively. Significant factors were the number of previous attempts at repair (χ2 = 20.44, p = 0.002), age group (χ2 = 16.95, p = 0.03), Waaldijk’s classification (χ2 = 13.31, p = 0.04), duration of fistula (χ2 = 19.6, p = 0.03), surgeons’ experience (χ2 = 7.11, p = 0.04), and place of previous attempt at repair (χ2 = 6.35, p = 0.02). There were no complications in 86.4%.
The success rate was good. Patients who had previous failed repairs at the fistula centre had better outcomes after the repeat surgeries. Centralizing fistula care will enhance optimal outcomes. It may also boost training and research in this specialty.
KeywordsUrogenital fistula Continence Success rate Previous failed repair
The authors appreciate Mrs. Marcelina who helped to retrieve the patients’ records.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
- 1.Frajzyngier V, Li G, Larson E, Ruminjo J, Barone MA. Development and comparison of prognostic scoring systems for surgical closure of genitourinary fistula. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013;208(2):112.Google Scholar
- 2.Williams S. Vesicovaginal fistula. BJUI. 1999;83(5):564–70.Google Scholar
- 3.Lee AL, Symmonds RE, Williams TJ. Current status of genitourinary fistula. Obstet Gynecol. 1988;72:313–9.Google Scholar
- 4.Sims JM. On the treatment of vesicovaginal fistula. Am J Med Sci. 1852;23:59–82.Google Scholar
- 5.Wilson SM, Sikkema KJ, Watt MH, Masenga GG, Mosha MV. Psychological symptoms and social functioning following repair of obstetric fistula in a low-income setting. Matern Child Health J. 2016;20(5):941–5.Google Scholar
- 6.Browning A, Menber B. Women with obstetric fistula in Ethiopia: a 6-month follow up after surgical treatment. BJOG Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008;115:1564–9.Google Scholar
- 7.Kapoor R, Ansari MS, Singh P, Gupta P, Khurana N, Mandhani A, et al. Management of vesicovaginal fistula: an experience of 52 cases with a rationalised algorithm for choosing the transvaginal or transabdominal approach. Indian J Urol. 2007;23(4):372–6.Google Scholar
- 8.Qadir T, Ghaffar N, Baloch SN, Muneer A. Clinical pattern and outcome of vesicovaginal fistula. JRMC. 2014;18(2):270–3.Google Scholar
- 9.Couvelaire R. Reflections on a personal statistics of 136 vesicovaginal fistulas. J Urol Medicale Chir. 1953;59:150–60.Google Scholar
- 10.Hillary CJ, Osman NI, Hilton P, Chapple CR. The aetiology, treatment, and outcome of urogenital fistulae managed in well- and low-resourced countries: a systematic review. Eur J Urol. 2016;70:478–92.Google Scholar
- 11.Elkins TE. Surgery for the obstetric vesicovaginal fistula: a review of 100 operations in 82 patients. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1994;170(4):1108–18.Google Scholar
- 12.Hussain A, Johnson K, Glowacki CA, Osias J, Wheeless CR Jr, Asrat K, et al. Surgical management of complex obstetric fistula in Eritrea. J Women’s Health. 2005;14(9):839–44.Google Scholar
- 13.Tebeu PM. Fosso GK, Vadandi V, Dobit JS, Fomulu JN, Rochat CH (2013) Prognostic value of repeated surgery on obstetric Vesicovaginal fistula outcome: a Cameroonian experience. Asian Pacific J Reprod 330–332.Google Scholar
- 15.Cromwell D, Hilton P. Retrospective cohort study on patterns of care and outcomes of surgical treatment for lower urinary-genital tract fistula among English National Health Service hospitals between 2000 and 2009. BJU Int. 2013;111:257–62.Google Scholar
- 16.Waaldijk K. Surgical classification of obstetric fistulas. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1995;49:161–3.Google Scholar
- 17.Ijaiya M, Rahman GA, Aboyeji AP, Olatinwo WO, Esuga SA, Ogah K, et al. Vesicovaginal fistula: a review of Nigerian experience. West Afr J Med. 2010;29(5):293–8.Google Scholar
- 18.Inimgba NM, Okpani AOU, John CT. Vesico-vaginal fistulae in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. Trop J Obstet Gynaecol. 1999;16:49–51.Google Scholar
- 19.Odusoga OL, Oloyede OAO, Fakoya TA, Sule-Odu AO. Obstetric vesico-vaginal fistula in Sagamu. Nig Med Pract. 2001;39:73–5.Google Scholar
- 20.Hilton P. Urogenital fistula in the UK: a personal case series managed over 25 years. BJU Int. 2012;110:102–10.Google Scholar
- 21.Gerstein AD, Phillips TJ, Rogers GS, Gilchrest BA. Wound healing and aging. Dermatol Clin. 1993;11(4):749–57.Google Scholar
- 22.Van de Kerkhof PC, Van Bergen B, Spruijt K, Kuiper JP. Age-related changes in wound healing. Clin Exp Dermatol. 1994;19(5):369–74.Google Scholar
- 23.Ockrim JL, Greenwell TJ, Foley CL, Wood DN, Shah PJR. A tertiary experience of vesico-vaginal and urethro-vaginal fistula repair: factors predicting success. BJU Int. 2009;103:1122–6.Google Scholar
- 24.Seshan V, Alkhaswneh E, Hashmi IH. Risk factors of urinary incontinence in women: a literature review. Int J Urol Nurs. 2016;10(3):118–26.Google Scholar
- 25.Arrowsmith SD, Barone MA, Ruminjo J. Outcomes of obstetric fistula care: a literature review. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2013;25(5):399–403.Google Scholar
- 26.Hilton P. Debate: post-operative urinary fistulae should be managed by gynaecologists in specialist centres. BJU Int. 1997;80(1):35–42.Google Scholar
- 27.Gupta NP, Mishra S, Mishra A, Seth A, Anand A. Outcome of repeat supratrigonal obstetric vesicovaginal fistula repair after previous failed repair. Urol Int. 2012;88(2):259–62.Google Scholar