Quantitative characterization of mechano-biological interrelationships of single cells
- 32 Downloads
This paper presented a quantitative investigation on the alteration of cell biological functions in relation to the change of mechanical properties of single cells. Leukemia NB4 cells were used as cell line. The dielectrophoresis (DEP) method was utilized to verify the mechanical properties variation of NB4 cells under the electric field treatment. A quantitative study of cell mechanical properties was then carried out using optical tweezers (OT), and cell biological properties using gene expression measurement. The result shows cell stiffness decreased after electric treatment. Biological properties related to cell motility, structure, apoptosis, migration, invasion, and metastases changed with cell mechanical properties variation.
KeywordsQuantitative investigation Mechano-biological interrelationship Optical tweezers Dielectrophoresis
The authors would like to thank Prof. Anskar Leung of the Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, for providing NB4 cells for experimental tests.
This work was supported in part by grants from the Research Grants Council of the Hong Kong Administrative Region, China (Reference no. CityU 9/CRF/13G and CityU 11211714), and Shenzhen Science and Technology Project, China (project no. R-IND13301).
- 1.Bai G, Li L, Chu HK, Wang K, Tan Q, Xiong J, Sun D (2017) Characterization of biomechanical properties of cells through dielectrophoresis-based cell stretching and actin cytoskeleton modeling. Biomed Eng Online 16(1): 41Google Scholar
- 11.Mofrad MR, Kamm RD (2006) Cytoskeletal mechanics: models and measurements in cell mechanics. Cambridge University PressGoogle Scholar
- 12.Muralidharan R, Panneerselvam J, Chen A, Zhao YD, Munshi A, Ramesh R (2015) HuR-targeted nanotherapy in combination with AMD3100 suppresses CXCR4 expression, cell growth, migration and invasion in lung cancer. Cancer Gene TherGoogle Scholar
- 22.Wei Y, Yu H, Karimi HR, Joo YH (2018b) New approach to fixed-order output-feedback control for piecewise-affine systems. Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, IEEE Transactions on, PP(99), 1-9.SGoogle Scholar
- 24.Xie M, Li X, Yong W, Liu Y, Dong S (2017) Saturated pid control for the optical manipulation of biological cells. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, PP(99), 1-8Google Scholar
- 25.Xie M, Shakoor A, Shen Y, Mills JK, Sun D (2018) Out-of-plane rotation control of biological cells with a robot-tweezers manipulation system for orientation-based cell surgery. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng:1Google Scholar
- 27.Xu J, Zhang Z, Chen J, Liu F, Bai L (2013) Overexpression of β-actin is closely associated with metastasis of gastric cancer. Hepato-gastroenterology 60:620–623Google Scholar