Filling mechanism for prototype parts produced by vacuum differential pressure casting technology
- 29 Downloads
Vacuum casting (VC) is the most economical production process for producing small numbers of prototype parts under vacuum conditions. The filling of the casting material in the conventional VC process only depends on the gravity. Thus, some defects of the cast part are observed. In this study, differential pressure (DP) VC was proposed to reduce the filling time and improve the quality of cast parts. In this study, the filling mechanisms in both horizontal and vertical directions were investigated theoretically and experimentally. The actual filling situations of the acrylonitrile butadiene styrene resin in both the horizontal and vertical directions are similar to the simulation results. The relationship of the filling time for DP time, sprue diameters, and mold cavity capacities was investigated. The filling time can be estimated in terms of DP time, sprue diameter, and mold cavity capacity.
KeywordsFilling mechanism Filling time Differential pressure Vacuum casting
The authors sincerely acknowledge financial support from the Ministry of Science and Technology of Taiwan under contract nos. MOST 107-2221-E-131-018, MOST 106-2221-E-131-010, MOST 106-2221-E-131-011, and MOST 105-2221-E-131-012.
- 11.Xu N, Zhang Z, Zhang H, Lv T, Liu Y, Hu Q (2012) Analysis of vacuum casting pressure time and its influence on casting quality. Asian Simulation Conference AsiaSim 2012:76–83Google Scholar
- 14.Jin CK, Jang CH, Kang CG (2015) Vacuum die casting process and simulation for manufacturing 0.8 mm-thick aluminum plate with four maze shapes. Metals:192–205Google Scholar
- 17.Dong XP, Huang NY, Wu SS (2005) Newly developed vacuum differential pressure casting of thin-walled complicated Al-alloy castings. China Acad J 2:102–107Google Scholar
- 18.Zhan SA, Song JT, Ding MH, Guo J, Liu HH (2017) A study of thin-walled ZL105A casting manufactured by vacuum differential pressure casting. Adv Eng Res 135:574–582Google Scholar
- 30.Gao X, Li Y, Kong Q, Tan Q, Li C (2018) Uniform concentrating design and mold machining of Fresnel lens for photovoltaic systems. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 96(1–4):451–460Google Scholar
- 32.Lium KC, Yang CH, Liu TI, Chiu LY, Liu G (2017) On-stream inspection for pitting corrosion defect of pressure vessels for intelligent and safe manufacturing. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 91(5–8):1957–1966Google Scholar
- 34.Zhang, X., Ming, X., Liu, Z. et al. Int J Adv Manuf Technol (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-019-03593-6, An overall framework and subsystems for smart manufacturing integrated system (SMIS) from multi-layers based on multi-perspectives
- 41.Akıncıoglu S, Gokkaya H, Uygur I (2016) The effects of cryogenic-treated carbide tools on tool wear and surface roughness of turning of Hastelloy C22 based on Taguchi method. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 82(1–4):303–314Google Scholar
- 44.Hentati F, Hadriche I, Masmoudi N et al (2019) Int J Adv Manuf Technol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-019-04283-z