Effects of pulse phase difference on metal transfer process and weld formation in the integrated circular triple-electrode GMAW
- 35 Downloads
The pulse synergic control on three arcs in the integrated circular triple-electrode GMAW was proposed to reduce arc interference. The research focused on the effects of pulse phase difference on metal transfer process and weld formation. In the aspect of metal transfer mode, it was found that one droplet per pulse accounted for a higher proportion at pulse phase difference of 120°, followed by pulse phase difference of 180°. However, complete one droplet per pulse hardly occurred at pulse phase difference of 0°, and short-circuiting transfer and one droplet multiple pulses became main transfer mode. In the aspect of weld formation, there were no distinct differences among weld widths and weld reinforcements under three pulse phase differences of 0°, 120°, and 180°. Nevertheless, the weld depths under three pulse phase differences successively varied from minimum to maximum. Moreover, the special cross-section appearance of “twin peaks” was formed at pulse phase difference of 120°. There were two main reasons for this phenomenon, i.e., arc force and droplet impact.
KeywordsIntegrated circular triple-electrode GMAW Pulse phase difference Arcing mode Metal transfer mode Weld formation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant no. 51475325) and the Applied Foundation and Advanced Technology Research Planning Project of Tianjin (Grant no. 14JCYBJC19100).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- 2.Tusek J (1996) Raising arc welding productivity. Weld Rev Int 15(3):102–105Google Scholar
- 4.Bajcer B, Hrzenjak M, Pompe K et al (2007) Improvement of energy and materials efficiencies by introducing multiple-wire welding. Metalurgija 46(1):47–52Google Scholar
- 7.Hua XM, Ma XL, Lin H et al (2008) Three-wire MAG high speed welding process. Trans China Weld inst 29(12):109–112Google Scholar
- 8.Hua XM, Wang F, Ma XL et al (2010) Research on arc interruption of triple-wire GMAW. J Shanghai Jiaotong University 44(4):442–446Google Scholar
- 16.Yin SY (2008) Basic and application of gas metal arc welding. China Machine Press, Bei JinGoogle Scholar