Methodology and implementation of a vision-oriented open CNC system for profile grinding
- 28 Downloads
CNC systems with the vision function have become very valuable for intelligence machine tools because machine vision is a fast-growing intelligent feature for machines. A novel vision-oriented open CNC system was developed in this study and used in profile grinding machines for the precise machining of parts with contour surfaces, such as complex molds and cutting tools. The system is an innovation to the conventional profile grinding method and enabled the profile error to be visually detected and compensated during the machining process. In this study, a novel design methodology for a machine-vision-oriented CNC system was proposed. An Ethernet-based hardware architecture was constructed for the vision-oriented CNC system. The software characteristics of the developed CNC system were analyzed, including a new type of multi-thread software architecture, a seamless handover approach for multi-thread accessing of the memory space, the integration of the human-machine interface with image processing, and virtual-axis-based online error compensation. The running efficiency test of the software development platforms, time-consumption analysis of the measurement and control in the vision-oriented CNC system, and verification of the effectiveness of the developed vision-oriented CNC system were performed. The results indicate that the proposed vision-oriented open CNC system can effectively fuse image processing with motion control, meet the efficiency requirement, and improve the machining precision of profile grinding. The results are also valuable for developing other machine-vision-based intelligent machine tools.
KeywordsProfile grinding Image processing Machine vision Open CNC Contour error On-machine measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This study was funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51575350).
- 1.Han Z, Jin H, Fu Y, Fu H (2016) Cutting deflection control of the blade based on real-time feedrate scheduling in open modular architecture CNC system. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 90(9–12):1–13Google Scholar
- 6.Jurkovic J, Korosec M, Kopac J New approach in tool wear measuring technique using CCD vision system. Int J Mach Tool Manu 45(9):1023–1030Google Scholar
- 9.Yusof Y, Latif K (2015) Development of new open soft-CNC system. International Conference on Computer, Communications, and Control Technology. IEEE: 82–86Google Scholar
- 10.Liu J, Fu Y, Han Z, Fu H (2015) Design of an industrial Ethernet based embedded open architecture CNC system. International Conference on Estimation, Detection and Information Fusion IEEE: 413–417Google Scholar
- 11.Li B, Zhou YF, Tang XQ (2004) A research on open CNC system based on architecture/component software reuse technology. Elsevier Science Publishers B. VGoogle Scholar
- 12.Klancnik S, Senveter J (2010) Computer-based workpiece detection on CNC milling machine tools using optical camera and neural networks. Advances in Production Engineering & ManagementGoogle Scholar
- 17.NI vision concepts manual, 2005, pp. 48 and 216 (National Instrument Corp., Austin, Texas)Google Scholar