Studies on ultrasonic vibration-assisted coining of micro-cylinder
- 18 Downloads
The process of micro-coining has been widely applied in micro-forming as it is easy to realize the positioning and assembling of micro-parts. In this study, ultrasonic vibration-assisted micro-forming system was established whereby conventional coining (C-coining) and ultrasonic vibration-assisted coining (US-coining) of micro-cylinder of pure copper were carried out. In case of C-coining, the height-to-diameter ratio of the formed micro-cylinder essentially remained unchanged when the grain size and forming load were kept constant. There is an optimum height of the specimen was noted to obtain the highest micro-cylinder by keeping other conditions remain the same. On the other hand, in case of US-coining, the height of micro-cylinder increased after applying ultrasonic vibration under different grain sizes and diameters of micro-cylinder. The rate of growth in the height of micro-cylinder is directly proportional to the ultrasonic amplitude under different grain sizes. The application of ultrasonic vibration in US-coining has a great impact in the micro-coining of micro-cylinder when the ratio of the height of specimen to the diameter of micro-hole was less than 2, and the largest rate of growth is more than three times as compared to the process of C-coining.
KeywordsMicro-forming Ultrasonic vibration Acoustic softening Coining process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The research work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (51675307, 51375269).
- 11.Zheng C, Zhang X, Liu Z, Ji Z (2018) Investigation on initial grain size and laser power density effects in laser shock bulging of copper foil. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 96(1):1483–1496Google Scholar
- 15.Blaha F, Langenecker B (1955) Elongation of zinc crystals under ultrasonic effect. Naturwissenschaften 42(556):0Google Scholar
- 17.Guo B, Shan D, Qin Y (2015) Investigation into high-frequency-vibration assisted micro-blanking of pure copper foils. in MATEC Web of Conferences. EDP SciGoogle Scholar
- 18.Tsujino J, Ueoka T, Sato H, Takiguchi K (1992) Characteristics of ultrasonic bending of metal plates using a longitudinal vibration die and punch. in Ultrasonics Symposium. Proceedings., IEEE 1992. 1992. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 21.Yao Z, Kim G-Y, Faidley L, Zou Q (2010) Micro pin extrusion of metallic materials assisted by ultrasonic vibration. Proceedings of the Asme International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference Vol 1. 2011. 647-651Google Scholar
- 22.Hung JC, Chiang MC (2009) The influence of ultrasonic-vibration on double backward-extrusion of aluminum alloy. Lect Notes Eng Comp: 1814-1819Google Scholar
- 24.Shimizu T, Kosuge S, Yang M (2015) Grain size effect on transferability in micro-coining process assisted by ultrasonic vibration. Manuf Rev 2:5Google Scholar
- 26.Tran NK, Lam YC, Yue CY, Tan MJ (2012) Fabricating protruded micro-features on AA6061 substrates by hot embossing method. Int. J. Mech. Aerosp. Ind. Mechatron. Manuf. Eng 6(5):983–986Google Scholar
- 29.Geiger M, Messner A, Engel U, Kals R, Vollertsen F (1995) Design of micro-forming processes-fundamentals material data and friction behaviour. In: 9th International Cold Forging Congress, pp 155–164Google Scholar