Optical probing for CNC machining of large parts made from fiber-reinforced polymer composite materials
- 34 Downloads
In machining of large fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composite parts, the part must be precisely located before machining. The exact location and shape are usually determined by the probing systems employing a touch probe integrated with a CNC machine. When measuring a large number of points, touch probing consumes a significant amount of time and adversely affects the utilization of the CNC machine in serial production. In order to increase the probing speed and acquire additional details, a new optical probing operating on the laser triangulation measuring principle is developed. The paper describes the measuring principle, system integration, neural network as the measuring system transfer function, and the calibration process. When measuring polyester or epoxy resin-based materials, the laser light penetrates into the part and reflects back inside of the part. This interference is successfully neutralized by the calibration body made from the same FRP material as the measured part. Verification of the calibration body and the machine coordinate system alignment is demonstrated by comparison of corrections determined with the optical and touch probing.
KeywordsLocalization Probing FRP CNC Laser triangulation Neural network Correction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology of the Republic of Slovenia, research program P2-0270 and L2-8183. The authors would also like to thank to the company Elan d.o.o. for their assistance and support in this research work.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Hollaway LC (2013) Advanced fibre-reinforced polymer (FRP) composite materials for sustainable energy technologies, no. January 2012. Woodhead Publishing LimitedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Bagherpour S (2012) Fibre reinforced polyester composites (composition perfect). Intech:135–166Google Scholar
- 3.Saadat M, Sim R, Najafi F (2007) Prediction of geometrical variations in airbus wingbox assembly. Assem Autom 27(4):324–332Google Scholar
- 5.Chowdhury N, Wang J, Chiu WK, Yan W (2016) Residual stresses introduced to composite structures due to the cure regime: effect of environment temperature and moisture. J Compos 2016:1–13. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/6468032
- 10.Zhu L, Luo H, Ding H (2009) Optimal design of measurement point layout for workpiece localization. J Manuf Sci Eng 131(1):11006–11013Google Scholar
- 13.Heidenhain, “Touch probes for machine tools,” (2017) [Online]. Available: https://www.heidenhain.com/en_US/products/touch-probes/. Accessed 13 Dec 2017
- 14.Renishaw, “Probing systems and software,” (2017) [Online]. Available: http://www.renishaw.com/en/probing-systems-and-software%2D%2D12466. Accessed 13 Dec 2017
- 15.Mutilba U, Gomez-Acedo E, Kortaberria G, Olarra A, and Yagüe-Fabra JA (2017) “Traceability of on-machine tool measurement: a review” Sensors (Switzerland), vol. 17, no. 7Google Scholar
- 17.Schwenke H, Neuschaefer-Rube U, Pfeifer T, Kunzmann H (2002) Optical methods for dimensional metrology in production engineering. CIRP Ann Manuf Technol 51(2):685–699Google Scholar
- 22.Skotheim Ø, Lind M, Ystgaard P, and Fjerdingen SA (2012) “A flexible 3D object localization system for industrial part handling”. IEEE Int Conf Intell Robot Syst, pp. 3326–3333Google Scholar
- 26.Kyle S, Loser R, and Warren D (1997) “Automated part positioning with the laser tracker”. Proc 5th Int Work Accel Alignment, pp. 1–9Google Scholar
- 30.Okarma K and Grudzinski M (2012) “The 3D scanning system for the machine vision based positioning of workpieces on the CNC machine tools” 2012 17th Int. Conf. Methods Model. Autom. Robot., pp. 85–90Google Scholar
- 31.CMS, “MAXIMA/G-REX 5 axes CNC working center.” [Online]. Available: https://www.scmgroup.com/it/cmsstone/products/sistemi-per-la-lavorazione-della-pietra.c12299/centri-di-lavoro-orizzontale.12301/g-rex.12315. Accessed 13 Dec 2017
- 32.“Elan d.o.o. Wind power division.” [Online]. Available: http://www.elan.si/en/us/. Accessed 13 Dec 2017
- 33.Bračun D, Škulj G, Kadiš M (2017) Spectral selective and difference imaging laser triangulation measurement system for on line measurement of large hot workpieces in precision open die forging. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 90(1–4):917–926Google Scholar