A convective heat transfer coefficient algorithm for thermal analysis of machine tools considering a temperature change
- 97 Downloads
The convective heat transfer coefficient (CHTC) is a key parameter for thermal analysis. The calculation method of empirical equations cannot accurately reflect the real situation of an object, especially when the fluid temperature is a variable, making the CHTC calculation more difficult. Based on finite element (FE) thermal analysis, an iterative algorithm of FE thermal analysis combined with experimental data was proposed. Furthermore, in the thermal analysis process, the temperature of the object itself changes and the heat is not uniform. The adopted CHTCs dynamically varied with the uneven wall temperature and ambient temperature. A CHTC gradual change “dynamic boundary condition” application mode was used. The interactive iterative calculation was completed by the FE software ABAQUS 6.14 and MATLAB 2016b, and a program was written to improve the calculation accuracy of the CHTC using multiple iterations. Taking the machine tool ball screw feed system as an example, a large number of experiments were conducted over 1 year under different ambient temperatures to verify that the method described in this paper was accurate and feasible. In addition, the relationship between the CHTC and ambient temperature change was found determined, and an explanation was provided.
KeywordsConvective heat transfer coefficient (CHTC) Thermal analysis Ball screw feed system FE simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work is supported by the National High Technology Research and Development Program of China (863 Program) by the grant no. 2015AA043302.
- 3.Han J, Wang L, Wang H, Cheng N (2011) A new thermal error modeling method for CNC machine tools. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 62(1–4):205–212Google Scholar
- 10.Yang H, Yin GF, Fang H, Liu LX, Zhang DJ, Xu DW (2013) Research on calculation methods of convective heat transfer coefficients for machine tools' thermal analysis. J Sichuan Univ (engineering science edition) (in Chinese) 43(4):241–248Google Scholar
- 14.Shi H, Zhang D, Yang J, Ma C, Mei X, Gong G (2015) Experiment-based thermal error modeling method for dual ball screw feed system of precision machine tool. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 82(9–12):1693–1705Google Scholar
- 19.Miao EM, Gong YY, Dang LC, Miao JC (2014) Temperature-sensitive point selection of thermal error model of CNC machining center. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 74(5–8):681–691Google Scholar
- 24.Lin B, Morgan MN, Chen XW, Wang YK (2008) Study on the convection heat transfer coefficient of coolant and the maximum temperature in the grinding process. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 42(11–12):1175–1186Google Scholar