Influence of hot isostatic pressing on structure and properties of titanium cold-spray deposits
- 88 Downloads
In this paper, an experimental study of the influence of capsule-free hot isostatic pressing (HIP) on the microstructure and tensile strength of cold-spray pure titanium deposits is considered. It is shown that hot isostatic pressing at 110 MPa and 1173 K significantly changes the microstructure of titanium cold-spray deposit. Total porosity was decreased from 4.3 to 2.2% due to elimination of small-scale porosity (pores with size less than 5 μm), whereas larger pores were not completely closed. Measured ultimate tensile strength (UTS) of as-sprayed and HIP-treated samples was 110 and 480 MPa, correspondingly. Increase of UTS is explained by material diffusion and microstructure changes during the HIP cycle. At the same time, ductility of the samples after HIP was only ~ 8% which is significantly lower than that for the bulk pure titanium.
KeywordsCold spray Titanium Hot isostating pressing Additive manufacturing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The work was carried out with financial support from the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation in the framework of Increase Competitiveness Program of NUST “MISiS” (№ К1-2016-030), implemented by the governmental decree dated on 16th of March 2013, N 211.
- 2.Veiga C, Davim JP, Loureiro AJR (2012) Properties and applications of titanium alloys: a brief review. Rev Adv Mater Sci 32(2):133–148Google Scholar
- 4.Hegab HA (2016) Design for additive manufacturing of composite materials and potential alloys: a review. Manuf Rev 3:11Google Scholar
- 7.Yan M, Yu P (2015) An overview of densification, microstructure and mechanical property of additively manufactured Ti-6Al-4V—comparison among selective laser melting, electron beam melting, laser metal deposition and selective laser sintering, and with conventional powder. In Sintering techniques of materials. InTechGoogle Scholar
- 23.Papyrin A, Kosarev V, Klinkov S, Alkhimov A, Fomin V (2007) Cold spray technology. Elsevier Science, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 35.Blose RE 2005 Spray forming titanium alloys using the cold spray process. In Proceedings of ITSC 2005: Thermal Spray connects: explore its surfacing potential! Basel, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar