Multi-state decision of unreliable machines for energy-efficient production considering work-in-process inventory
- 32 Downloads
Energy-efficient operation of manufacturing systems is critical for industrial enterprises in current environmentally conscious society. Decreasing the idle time of a machine is one of the main methods to achieve energy-efficient production. From the system level, when and how long a machine can be turned into standby state with lower energy consumption is still a difficult problem for unreliable manufacturing systems considering less throughput loss. In this paper, a novel multi-state decision method based on fuzzy logic is proposed to switch a machine into different sleep states considering real-time work in process inventory of buffers. Three basic modules and their corresponding fuzzy controllers are presented to construct complex manufacturing systems with disassembly and assembly workstations. The fuzzy rules for machine state decision are generated based on the expert/production knowledge. By means of simulation experiments, the effectiveness of the proposed method is illustrated for an unreliable complex manufacturing system.
KeywordsMachine state decision Fuzzy logic Energy-efficient production Unreliable manufacturing system
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant number 71571075).
- 5.Twomey J, Yildirim M B, Whitman L, Liao H, Ahmad J (2008) Energy profiles of manufacturing equipment for reducing energy consumption in a production setting. Working paper, Wichita State Univ., Wichita, KSGoogle Scholar
- 10.Jia S, Tang R, Lv J, Yuan Q, Peng T (2016) Energy consumption modeling of machining transient states based on finite state machine. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 88(5–8):1–16Google Scholar
- 18.Prabhu VV, Jeon HW, Taisch M (2012) Modeling green factory physics - an analytical approach. Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering, August 20-24, Seoul, Korea, pp 20–24Google Scholar
- 27.Li Y, Chang Q, Ni J, Brundage MP (2016) Event-based supervisory control for energy efficient manufacturing systems. IEEE Trans Autom Sci Eng 99:1–12Google Scholar
- 38.Wang J F, Xue J, Duque E T, Li S Q, Chang Q (2017) Fuzzy decision of machine switch on-off for energy efficient operation of manufacturing system. Proceeding of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering, August 20-23, Xian, China, pp 1158–1162Google Scholar
- 40.Hájek P (1998) Metamathematics of fuzzy logic, 4 edn. Springer Science & Business MediaGoogle Scholar
- 44.Gutowski T, Dahmus J, Thiriez A (2006) Electrical energy requirements for manufacturing processes. In: Proceedings of the 13th CIRP International conference on Life Cycle Engineering, May 31st-June 2nd, Leuven, Belgium, pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 45.Li W (2015) Implementation towards improving energy and eco-efficiency of manufacturing processes. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, pp 113–142Google Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.