POD-spectral decomposition for fluid flow analysis and model reduction
- 1.2k Downloads
We propose an algorithm that combines proper orthogonal decomposition with a spectral method to analyze and extract reduced order models of flows from time data series of velocity fields. The flows considered in this study are assumed to be driven by non-linear dynamical systems exhibiting a complex behavior within quasiperiodic orbits in the phase space. The technique is appropriate to achieve efficient reduced order models even in complex cases for which the flow description requires a discretization with a fine spatial and temporal resolution. The proposed analysis enables to decompose complex flow dynamics into modes oscillating at a single frequency. These modes are associated with different energy levels and spatial structures. The approach is illustrated using time-resolved PIV data of a cylinder wake flow with associated Reynolds number equal to 3,900.
KeywordsReduced order modeling POD DMD Spectral analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
ESM 1 (MPG 2,011 kb)
- 8.Rowley, C., Mezic, I., Bagheri, S., Schlatter, P., Henningson, D.: Seventh IUTAM Symposium on Laminar-Turbulent Transition, vol. 18: Reduced-order models for flow control: balanced modes and Koopman modes. IUTAM Bookseries (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Aling H., Banerjee S., Bangia A.K., Cole V., Ebert J.L., Emami-Naeini A., Jensen K.F., Kevrekidis I.G., Shvartsman S.: Nonlinear model reduction for simulation and control of rapid thermal processing. Proc. Am. Control Conf. 8, 2233–2238 (1997)Google Scholar
- 14.Artana, G., Cammilleri, A., Carlier, J., Memin, E.: Strong and weak constraint variational assimilations for reduced order fluid flow modeling. J. Comput. Phys. 231(8), 3264–3288 (2012)Google Scholar
- 19.Bagheri, S.: Analysis and Control of Transitional Shear Flows Using Global Modes. Ph.D. Thesis, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Schmid, P., Li, L., Juniper, M., Pust, O.: Applications of the dynamic mode decomposition. Theor. and Comput. Fluid Dyn. 25 (1–4), 245–259 (2011)Google Scholar
- 25.Takens F.: Lecture Notes in Mathematics: Detecting Strange Attractors in Turbulence, Symp. Dynamical Systems and Turbulence. Springer, Berlin (1981)Google Scholar
- 28.Zdravkovich M.: Flow Around Circular Cylinders: Vol 1 Fundamentals. Oxford Science Publication, Oxford (1997)Google Scholar