Efficient computational method based on AK-MCS and Bayes formula for time-dependent failure probability function
- 18 Downloads
The time-dependent failure probability function (TDFPF) is defined as a function of the time-dependent failure probability (TDFP) varying with the design parameters and the service time, and it is useful in the reliability-based design optimization for the time-dependent problem. For the lack of method estimating TDFPF, the direct Monte Carlo simulation (DMCS) and an adaptive Kriging-MCS based on Bayes formula (shorten as AK-MCS-Bay) are developed to estimate TDFPF. The DMCS is time-consuming, but its convergent solution can be used as reference to validate other methods. In the AK-MCS-Bay, the TDFPF is primarily transformed into the estimation of the augmented TDFP and the conditional probability density function (PDF) of design parameters on the time-dependent failure event. Then, a single AK model is constructed to efficiently identify the failure samples in the MCS sample pool at different service times. By using these identified failure samples, the TDFPs under different service times can be estimated by the double-loop MCS without any extra model evaluations, and the conditional PDF of design parameters can be also acquired by the kernel density estimation method. The numerical and engineering examples indicate the efficiency and accuracy of the proposed method.
KeywordsTime-dependent failure probability function Bayes formula Adaptive Kriging Kernel density estimation
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. NSFC 51775439) and the Innovation Foundation for Doctor Dissertation of Northwestern Polytechnical University (Grant No. CX201934).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Du XP Time-dependent mechanism reliability analysis with envelope functions and first-order approximation. J Mech Des 136(8):081010Google Scholar
- Fan CQ, Lu ZZ, Shi Y (2019) Time-dependent failure possibility analysis under consideration of fuzzy uncertainty. Fuzzy Sets Syst article in pressGoogle Scholar
- Feng KX, Lu ZZ, Yun WY (2019a, article in press) Aircraft icing severity analysis considering three uncertainty types. AIAA J. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J057529
- Li CC, Der Kiureghian A (1993) Optimal discretization of random fields. J Mech Des 119(6):1136–1154Google Scholar
- Meng Z, Zhang DQ, Li G, Yu B (2019) An importance learning method for non-probabilistic reliability analysis and optimization. Struct Multidiscip Optim 59(4):1255–1271Google Scholar
- Yun WY, Lu ZZ, Jiang X (2019b) An efficient method for moment-independent global sensitivity analysis by dimensional reduction technique and principle of maximum entropy. Reliab Eng Syst Saf. article in pressGoogle Scholar
- Zhang J, Ellingwood B (1994) Orthogonal series expansions of random fields in reliability analysis. J Mech Des 120(12):2660–2677Google Scholar