Robust topology optimization for multiple fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) composites under loading uncertainties
- 227 Downloads
This study proposes a non-deterministic robust topology optimization of ply orientation for multiple fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) materials, such as carbon fiber–reinforced plastic (CFRP) and glass fiber–reinforced plastic (GFRP) composites, under loading uncertainties with both random magnitude and random direction. The robust topology optimization is considered here to minimize the fluctuation of structural performance induced by load uncertainty, in which a joint cost function is formulated to address both the mean and standard deviation of compliance. The sensitivities of the cost function are derived with respect to the design variables in a non-deterministic context. The discrete material optimization (DMO) technique is extended here to accommodate robust topology optimization for FRP composites. To improve the computational efficiency, the DMO approach is revised to reduce the number of design variables by decoupling the selection of FRP materials and fiber orientations. In this study, four material design examples are presented to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed methods. The robust topology optimization results exhibit that the composite structures with the proper ply orientations are of more stable performance when the load fluctuates.
KeywordsRobust topology optimization Non-deterministic design Load uncertainty Discrete material optimization (DMO) Ply orientation Carbon fiber–reinforced plastic (CFRP) and glass fiber–reinforced plastic (GFRP)
This work was supported by the National Key Research and Development Program of China (grant number 2016YFB0101602) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant number 51575399).
- Bruyneel M (2011) SFP--a new parameterization based on shape functions for optimal material selection: application to conventional composite plies. Struct Multidiscip Optim 43(1):17–27Google Scholar
- Gao T, Zhang W, Duysinx P (2012) A bi-value coding parameterization scheme for the discrete optimal orientation design of the composite laminate. Int J Numer Methods Eng 91(1):98–114Google Scholar
- Liu JT, Gea HC (2017) Robust topology optimization under multiple independent unknown-but-bounded loads. Comput Methods Appl Mech EngGoogle Scholar
- Thore CJ, Holmberg E, Klarbring A (2017) A general framework for robust topology optimization under load-uncertainty including stress constraints. Comput Methods Appl Mech Eng 319Google Scholar
- Wu C, Fang J, Li Q (2018) Multi-material topology optimization for thermal buckling criteria. Comput Methods Appl Mech Eng. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2018.08.015
- Wu C, Gao Y, Fang J, Lund E, Li Q (2018) Simultaneous discrete topology optimization of ply orientation and thickness for carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) laminated structures. ASME J Mech Des. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4042222
- Xia Q, Shi T (2017) Optimization of composite structures with continuous spatial variation of fiber angle through Shepard interpolation. Compos StructGoogle Scholar
- Zhang W, Song J, Zhou J, Du Z, Zhu Y, Sun Z, Guo X (2017) Topology optimization with multiple materials via Moving Morphable Component (MMC) method. Int J Numer Methods Eng 113(11)Google Scholar