A new method for reliability analysis and reliability-based design optimization
- 216 Downloads
We present a novel method for reliability-based design optimization, which is based on the approximation of the safe region in the random space by a polytope-like region. This polytope is in its turn transformed into quite a simple region by using generalized spherical coordinates. The failure probability can then be easily estimated by considering simple quadrature rules. One of the advantages of the proposed approach is that by increasing the number of vertices, we can improve arbitrarily the accuracy of the failure probability estimation. The sensitivity analysis of the failure probability is also provided. We show that the proposed approach leads to an optimization problem, where the set of optimization variables includes all the original design variables and all the parameters that control the shape of the polytope. In addition, this problem can be solved by a single iteration scheme of optimization. We illustrate the performance of the new approach by solving several examples of truss topology optimization.
KeywordsReliability-based design Truss topology optimization Stochastic structural model
Alfredo Canelas thanks the Uruguayan Councils ANII and CSIC for the financial support.
This research was supported by CONICYT-Chile, via FONDECYT project 1160894.
- Achtziger W (1997) Topology optimization of discrete structures: an introduction in view of computational and nonsmooth aspects. In: Topology optimization in structural mechanics, CISM courses and lectures, vol 374. Springer, Vienna, pp 57–100Google Scholar
- Ditlevsen O, Madsen HO (1996) Structural reliability methods, 1st edn. Wiley, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- Dorn WS, Gomory RE, Greenberg HJ (1964) Automatic design of optimal structures. Journal de Mecanique 3:25–52Google Scholar
- Liu K, Paulino GH, Gardoni P (2016a) Reliability-based topology optimization using a new method for sensitivity approximation—application to ground structures. Struct Multidiscip Optim 54(3):553–571Google Scholar
- Liu K, Paulino GH, Gardoni P (2016b) Segmental multi-point linearization for parameter sensitivity approximation in reliability analysis. Struct Saf 62:101–115Google Scholar