Electrically generated nitric oxide from air: a safe and economical treatment for pulmonary hypertension
Electrically generated nitric oxide
This study was partially supported by Grants from NHLBI Grant #R21HL130956 to B.Y., NHLBI B-BIC/NCAI #U54HL119145 to W.M.Z., and NIH/NHLBI Grant #1K23HL128882-01A1 to L.B. This study was also supported by laboratory funds of the Anesthesia Center for Critical Care Research of the Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
B.Y. and W.M.Z. have patents at MGH on the electric generation of nitric oxide (NO). W.M.Z. is on the scientific advisory board of Third Pole Inc., which has licensed patents on NO generators from MGH. Other authors declare no conflicts of interest.
- 1.Roberts JD Jr, Fineman JR, Morin FC 3rd, Shaul PW, Rimar S, Schreiber MD, Polin RA, Zwass MS, Zayek MM, Gross I, Heymann MA, Zapol WM (1997) Inhaled nitric oxide and persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. The Inhaled Nitric Oxide Study Group. N Engl J Med 336:605–610CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Lei C, Berra L, Rezoagli E, Yu B, Dong H, Yu S, Hou L, Chen M, Chen W, Wang H, Zheng Q, Shen J, Jin Z, Chen T, Zhao R, Christie E, Sabbisetti VS, Nordio F, Bonventre JV, Xiong L, Zapol WM (2018) Nitric oxide decreases acute kidney injury and stage 3 chronic kidney disease after cardiac surgery. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 198:1279–1287CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Mwanga-Amumpaire J, Carroll RW, Baudin E, Kemigisha E, Nampijja D, Mworozi K, Santorino D, Nyehangane D, Nathan DI, De Beaudrap P, Etard JF, Feelisch M, Fernandez BO, Berssenbrugge A, Bangsberg D, Bloch KD, Boum Y 2nd, Zapol WM (2015) Inhaled nitric oxide as an adjunctive treatment for cerebral malaria in children: a phase ii randomized open-label clinical trial. Open Forum Infect Dis 2:1–9CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Marrazzo F, Larson G, Sherpa Lama TT, Teggia Droghi M, Joyce M, Ichinose F, Watkins MT, Stowell C, Crowley J, Berra L (2019) Inhaled nitric oxide prevents systemic and pulmonary vasoconstriction due to hemoglobin-based oxygen carrier infusion: a case report. J Crit Care 51:213–216CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Bentur L, Gur M, Ashkenazi M, Livnat-Levanon G, Mizrahi M, Tal A, Ghaffari A, Geffen Y, Aviram M, Efrati O, (2019) Pilot study to test inhaled nitric oxide in cystic fibrosis patients with refractory Mycobacterium abscessus lung infection. J Cyst Fibros May 22, (Epub ahead of print) Google Scholar