When more could be industry-driven: the case of the extracorporeal treatment of sepsis
The actual and complex situation
Sepsis, defined as life-threatening organ dysfunction caused by a dysregulated host response to infection, continues to have a distressingly high morbidity and mortality. This is especially the case in septic shock, a subset of sepsis with profound circulatory, cellular, and metabolic abnormalities . Pathogen-associated molecular patterns (PAMPs) and damage-associated molecular patterns (DAMPs) and the resultant production of inflammatory cytokines play an important role in the pathogenesis. Currently, no drugs are approved for the treatment of sepsis, because none of the candidate modulators of the sepsis immune response could show a beneficial effect on patient outcomes in large randomized controlled trials, illustrating the urgent need for new treatment approaches.
The idea of extracorporeal removal of evil substances (blood “purification”), resulting in restoration of the immune balance, has already been raised in the 1980s and rapidly found...
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
MS and TB declare having no conflict of interest related to this manuscript.
- 1.Singer M, Deutschman CS, Seymour CW, Shankar-Hari M, Annane D, Bauer M, Bellomo R, Bernard GR, Chiche JD, Coopersmith CM, Hotchkiss RS, Levy MM, Marshall JC, Martin GS, Opal SM, Rubenfeld GD, van der Poll T, Vincent JL, Angus DC (2016) The third international consensus definitions for sepsis and septic shock (Sepsis-3). JAMA 315:801–810CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/…/medical-devices_en. Accessed 19 June 2019
- 10.Friesecke S, Träger K, Schittek GA, Molnar Z, Bach F, Kogelmann K, Bogdanski R, Weyland A, Nierhaus A, Nestler F, Olboeter D, Tomescu D, Jacob D, Haake H, Grigoryev E, Nitsch M, Baumann A, Quintel M, Schott M, Kielstein JT, Meier-Hellmann A, Born F, Schumacher U, Singer M, Kellum J, Brunkhorst FM (2017) International registry on the use of the CytoSorb® adsorber in ICU patients: study protocol and preliminary results. Med Klin Intensivmed Notfmed. 2017 Sept 4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00063-017-0342-5. (Epub ahead of print)
- 11.Schädler D, Pausch C, Heise D, Meier-Hellmann A, Brederlau J, Weiler N, Marx G, Putensen C, Spies C, Jörres A, Quintel M, Engel C, Kellum JA, Kuhlmann MK (2017) The effect of a novel extracorporeal cytokine hemoadsorption device on IL-6 elimination in septic patients: a randomized controlled trial. PLoS ONE 12:e0187015CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.https://cytosorb-therapy.com/the-therapy. Accessed 19 June 2019