Weaning: can the computer help?
- 103 Downloads
After overcoming the perils of critical illness, patients should be weaned from mechanical ventilation as quickly as possible. Failure to do so exposes them to excess morbidity . Often the greatest obstacle to expeditious ventilator discontinuation is the clinician’s failure to contemplate the possibility that the patient may be ready to successfully breathe on his or her own . In an attempt to avert delays, Dojat and Brochard and their group have developed a closed-loop computer-driven ventilator support system . After more than 15 years of research [3, 4, 5], these investigators reported in a multicenter European study that computer-driven weaning reduced duration of mechanical ventilation and ICU length of stay .
In the current issue of Intensive Care Medicine, Rose and co-workers  were unable to confirm the superiority of the computer-driven weaning system. In this single-center Australian study , duration of weaning and also duration of mechanical ventilation...
- 1.Chastre J, Fagon J-Y (2006) Pneumonia in the ventilator-dependent patient. In: Tobin MJ (ed) Principles and practice of mechanical ventilation. McGraw-Hill, New York, pp 221–250Google Scholar
- 2.Tobin MJ, Jubran A (2006) Weaning from mechanical ventilation. In: Tobin MJ (ed) Principles and practice of mechanical ventilation. McGraw-Hill, New York, pp 1185–1221Google Scholar
- 6.Lellouche F, Mancebo J, Jolliet P, Roeseler J, Schortgen F, Dojat M, Cabello B, Bouadma L, Rodriguez P, Maggiore S, Reynaert M, Mersmann S, Brochard L (2006) A multicenter randomized trial of computer-driven protocolized weaning from mechanical ventilation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:894–900PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Rose L, Presneill JJ, Johnston L, Cade JF (2008) A randomized, controlled trial; of conventional versus automated weaning from mechanical ventilation using SmartCareTM/PS. Intensive Care Med. doi: 10.1007/s00134-008-1179-4
- 8.Magee B (1994) Philosophy and the real world: an introduction to Karl Popper. Open Court, La SalleGoogle Scholar