Preliminary Assessment of Stress and Genotoxicity Biomarkers in Bivalve Molluscs from the Gulf of Annaba, Algeria
The aim of this work is to assess biomarker responses to stresses caused by pollution of the marine environment in the Gulf of Annaba, using the bivalve mollusc Donax trunculus and Mytilus galloprovincialis. Males and females were collected during the summer from site 1 considered to be far from pollution sources (SM1 and SD1), site 2 (SM2 and SD2) exposed to a mixture of contaminants, and site 3 (SM3 and SD3) receiving the untreated sewage. The whole body was used for the determination of malonaldehyde (MDA), reduced glutathione (GSH) and DNA damage. The MDA concentration from site 2 of both species has indicated significant augmentation. The two bivalves from S2 and S3 have recorded significant decrease of GSH level, with the highest number of Comet scores. A significant site and sex effect was measured for the level of GSH and MDA, accompanied with a significant site effect for DNA damage. The genotoxicity seems correlated with the stress biomarkers and dependent on the effluent types.
KeywordsBivalves Comet scores GSH MDA D. trunculus M. galloprovincialis
We would like to thank The National Research Fund, Algeria (FNR) for financial support to the Laboratory of Animal Ecophysiology (FNR/LAB0033/2016).
- Amiard JC, Amiard-Triquet C (2008) Les Biomarqueurs dans l’évaluation de l’état ecologique des milieux aquatiques. Lavoisier 375Google Scholar
- Banni M, Hajer A, Sforzini S, Oliveri C, Boussetta H, Viarengo A (2014) Transcriptional expression levels and biochemical markers of oxidative stress in Mytilus galloprovincialis exposed to nickel and heat stress. Comp Biochem Physiol C Pharmacol Toxicol 160:23–29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpc.2013.11.005. (Epub 2013 Nov 27)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Belabed BE, Laffray X, Dhib A, Fertouna-Belakhal M, Turki S, Aleya L (2013) Factors contributing to heavy metal accumulation in sediments and in the intertidal mussel Perna perna in the gulf of Annaba (Algeria). Mar Pollut Bull 74(1):477–489. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2013.06.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Belabed BE, Meddour A, Samraoui B (2017) Modeling seasonal and spatial contamination of surface waters and upper sediments with trace metal elements across industrialized urban areas of the Seybouse watershed in North Africa. Environ Monit Assess 189(6):1–19. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-017-5968-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Drif F (2012) Distribution of trace metals in bivalves (mollusks) in the gulf of Annaba, north-east Algeria. PhD Thesis University Badji Mokhtar Annaba, 127Google Scholar
- Giguère A, Couillard Y, Campbell PGC, Perceval O, Hare L, Pinel-Alloul B, Pellerin J (2003) Steady-state distribution of metals among metallothionein and other cytosoic ligand and links to cytotoxicity in bivalves living along a polymetallic gradient. Aquat Toxicol 64(2):185–200. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-445X(03)00052-3 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guerlet E (2007) Utilisation de biomarqueurs cellulaires chez plusieurs espèces d’invertébrés pour l’évaluation de la contamination des milieux dulçaquicoles. Thèse de Doctorat en Ecotoxicologie et biodiversité. Université de Metz, 317. https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00530188. Accessed July 2018
- Hamilton SJ, Mehrle PM (1986) Metallothionein in fish: review of its importance in assessing stress from metal contaminants. Trans Am Fish Soc 115(4):596–609. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1986)115%3C596:MIF%3E2.0.CO;2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rabei A, Hichami A, Beldi H, Bellenger S, Khan NA, Soltani N (2018) Fatty acid composition, enzyme activities and metallothioneins in Donax trunculus (Mollusca, Bivalvia) from polluted and reference sites in the Gulf of Annaba (Algeria): pattern of recovery during transplantation. Environ Poll 237:900–907. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2018.01.041 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rainbow PS, Amiard JC, Amiard-Triquet C, Cheung MS, Zhang L, Zhong H, Wang WX (2007) Trophic transfer of trace metal: subcellular compartmentalization in bivalve prey, assimilation by a gastropod predator and in vitro digestion simulations. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 348:125–138. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps07086 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sifi K, Soltani N (2019) Seasonal changes of two biomarkers of oxidative stress (LDH, MDA) in the edible mollusc Donax trunculus (Mollusca: Bivalvia) from the Gulf of Annaba (Algeria): correlation with carbohydrate and lipid contents. Molluscan J 39(1):44–52. https://doi.org/10.1080/13235818.2018.1499389 CrossRefGoogle Scholar