Evaluation of Growth, Photosynthetic Pigments and Genotoxicity in the Wetland Macrophyte Bidens laevis Exposed to Tebuconazole
The fungicide tebuconazole (TBZ) has been used to prevent terrestrial fungi in agroecosystems, but it can also induce negative effects to non-targeted aquatic organisms, such as plants. The aim of the present work was to evaluate the potential cyto- and genotoxicity of TBZ in the aquatic macrophyte Bidens laevis, exposed to a range of concentrations of 0.1–100 µg/L. Mitosis in root tips were analyzed showing decreased mitotic index and an increase of chromosomal aberrations at 10 and 100 µg/L. The regression of TBZ concentration vs. aneugenic aberrations was significant, indicating the mechanism of genotoxicity. The specific growth rate (Gr) for total length decreased in plants exposed to 0.1, 10 and 100 µg/L. Gr for root decreased in plants exposed at 0.1 and 10 µg/L, reaching a maximum percent inhibition root growth rate (Ir) of 68.8%. These results show that TBZ resulted cyto- and genotoxic to B. laevis at environmentally relevant levels.
KeywordsFungicides Plant growth Cytotoxicity Chromosomal aberrations
Thank you to G. Lukaszewicz for his help on identifying chromosomal aberrations in the samples and to G. Iturburu for his help in the statistical treatment of the data. This work was supported by FONCYT- AGENCIA (PICT-2013- 1348) and UNMDP (EXA 795/16 and EXA 900/18).
- FAO (2018) Retrieved January 17, 2019 from http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/agphome/documents/Pests_Pesticides/JMPR/Evaluation94/tebucona.pdf
- Huggett RJ, Kimerle RA, Mehrle PM Jr, Bergman HL (1992) Biomarkers and biochemical and physiological markers of anthropogenic stress. Lewis Publishers, Chelsea, 347 ppGoogle Scholar
- Maltby L, Arnold D, Arts G, Davies J, Heimbach F, Pickl C, Poulsen V (2010) Aquatic macrophyte risk assessment for pesticides. CRC Press, Boca Raton, pp 135Google Scholar
- Menone ML, Pérez DJ, Lukaszewicz G, Camadro EL (2015) Identificación de hidrófitas de la Argentina para estudios de genotoxicidad de contaminantes acuáticos. J Basic Appl Genet 26:9–17Google Scholar
- Pérez DJ, Menone ML, Doucette WJ (2013) Root-to-shoot transfer and distribution of endosulfan in the wetland macrophyte Bidens laevis L. Environ Toxicol Chem 32:2478–2481Google Scholar
- Pérez DJ, Menone ML, Tognetti J, Lukaszewicz G (2018) Azoxystrobin induces chromosomal aberrations in roots of the hydrophyte Bidens laevis L. Revista Internacional de Contaminación Ambiental (RICA). ISSN 0188–4999 In pressGoogle Scholar
- Tomlin CDS (2003) The e-Pesticide Manual: a world compendium. Tebuconazole 13th edn. PC CD-ROM, Version 3.0, 2003-04. British Crop Protection Council: SurreyGoogle Scholar
- Zubrod JP, Englert D, Feckler A, Koksharova N, Konschak M, Bundschuh R, Schnetzer N, Englert K, Schulz R, Bundschuh M (2015) Does the current fungicide risk assessment provide sufficient protection for key drivers in aquatic ecosystem functioning? Environ Sci Technol 49:1173–1181CrossRefGoogle Scholar