Mechanistic studies of the apoptosis induced by the macrocyclic natural product tetrandrine in MGC 803 cells
- 2 Downloads
Tetrandrine (Tet) is a macrocyclic tetrahydroisoquinoline alkaloid isolated from Stephania tetrandra S. Moore along with other Chinese and Japanese herbs. It has been used extensively for the treatment of silicosis, autoimmune disorders, inflammatory diseases and cardiovascular diseases. Of late, Tet has garnered increasing attention for its anticancer activity and its efficacy to reverse chemoresistance. In this study, we evaluated the cytotoxicity of Tet on MGC 803 gastric cancer cells using the methyl thiazolyl tetrazolium (MTT) assay. In addition, apoptosis and cell cycle were analyzed through flow cytometry, mitochondrial membrane potential (MMP) was measured using fluorescence microscopy and migration of cells was determined by transwell assay. It was observed that Tet efficiently inhibited the proliferation of MGC 803 cells in a concentration-dependent and time-dependent manner and reduced the number of colonies at low concentrations. It induced apoptosis through mitochondrial dysfunction, which may be related with upregulated Bcl-2-associated X protein (Bax), and downregulated of B cell lymphoma 2 (Bcl-2). On the other hand, Tet blocked the cell cycle at Gap 2 (G2)/mitosis (M) phase, which was associated with the upregulation of p21CIP1/WAF1. Furthermore, Tet elevated the intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) level and suppressed the migration of MGC 803 cells. Altogether, we demonstrated that Tet inhibited the proliferation and migration of gastric cancer MGC 803 cells and thus might be a potential drug candidate for the treatment of gastric cancer.
KeywordsTetrandrine Apoptosis Cell cycle arrest Migration
This study was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (NO. 81472714 for Xiao-Bing Chen).; the Key Medical Technologies Research & Development Program of Henan Provence (No. 201502027 for Xiao-Bing Chen).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Gao J, Ji X, He T, Zhang Q, He K, Zhao Y, Chen S, Lv G (2013) Tetrandrine suppresses cancer angiogenesis and metastasis in 4T1 tumor bearing mice. Evid Based Complement Altern Med 2013:1–12Google Scholar
- He BC, Gao JL, Zhang BQ, Luo Q, Shi Q, Kim SH, Huang E, Gao Y, Yang K, Wagner ER, Wang L, Tang N, Luo J, Liu X, Li M, Bi Y, Shen J, Luther G, Hu N, Zhou Q, Luu HH, Haydon RC, Zhao Y, He TC (2011) Tetrandrine inhibits Wnt/beta-catenin signaling and suppresses tumor growth of human colorectal cancer. Mol Pharmacol 79:211–219CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Liu T, Liu X, Li W (2016) Tetrandrine, a Chinese plant-derived alkaloid, is a potential candidate for cancer chemotherapy. Oncotarget 26:40800–40815Google Scholar
- Ma L, Zheng Y, Wang S, Wang B, Wang Z, Pang L, Zhang M, Wang J, Ding L, Li J, Wang C, Hu B, Liu Y, Zhang X, Wang J, Wang Z, Zhao W, Liu H (2015) Design, synthesis, and structure–activity relationship of novel LSD1 inhibitors based on pyrimidine–thiourea hybrids as potent, orally active antitumor agents. J Med Chem 58:1705–1716CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Rybak M, Lomaestro B, Rotschafer JC, Moellering R, Craig W, Billeter M, Dalovisio JR, Levine DP (2008) Therapeutic monitoring of vancomycin in adult patients: a consensus review of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, the Infectious Diseases Society of America, and the Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists. Am J Health Syst Pharm 66:82–98CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang SQ, Wang C, Chang LM, Zhou KR, Wang JW, Ke Y, Yang DX, Shi HG, Wang R, Shi XL, Ma LY, Liu HM (2016) Geridonin and paclitaxel act synergistically to inhibit the proliferation of gastric cancer cells through ROS-mediated regulation of the PTEN/PI3K/Akt pathway. Oncotarget 7:72990–73002PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Wu GQ, Chai KQ, Zhu XM, Jiang H, Wang X, Xue Q, Zheng AH, Zhou HY, Chen Y, Chen XC, Xiao JY, Ying XH, Wang FW, Rui T, Liao YJ, Xie D, Lu LQ, Huang DS (2016) Anti-cancer effects of curcumin on lung cancer through the inhibition of EZH2 and NOTCH1. Oncotarget 18:26535–26550Google Scholar
- Xu H, Hou Z, Zhang H, Kong H, Li X, Wang H, Xie W (2014) An efficient Trojan delivery of tetrandrine by poly(N-vinylpyrrolidone)-block-poly(epsilon-caprolactone) (PVP-b-PCL) nanoparticles shows enhanced apoptotic induction of lung cancer cells and inhibition of its migration and invasion. Int J Nanomed 9:231–242Google Scholar