Childhood trauma and depressive symptoms in pregnant adolescents in Southern Brazil
This study aimed to investigate the association between child maltreatment and depressive symptomatology during gestation in adolescents.
This was a cross-sectional study with pregnant adolescents aged 12 to 19 years. Data were collected with the Beck Depression Inventory, Childhood Trauma Questionnaire, and Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview.
Compared to adolescents who did not experience each type of neglect or abuse, experiencing them was associated with a higher proportion of depressive symptoms: emotional neglect PR = 1.4 (95% CI 1.1; 1.8); physical neglect PR = 1.7 (95% CI 1.3; 1.7); emotional abuse PR = 1.8 (95% CI 1.4; 2.2); and physical abuse PR = 1.3 (95% CI 1.1; 1.7).
This study demonstrates the association between childhood experiences and mental health in adolescence, especially in vulnerable samples, such as pregnant adolescents. This finding reveals the importance of studying early trauma in life and enabling preventive help, especially in adolescents. High-quality evidence of perinatal mental health problems should be generated to make pregnancy safer for women in low- and middle-income countries.
KeywordsChildhood trauma Depression Pregnancy Pregnancy adolescents Adolescence Depressive symptoms Trauma Abuse Pregnant
National Council of Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all participants included in the study or their parents.
- Barbosa LP, Quevedo L, Silva GDGD, Jansen K, Magalhães P, Pinheiro RT, Silva RA (2014) Relationship between maternal depression as a risk factor for childhood trauma and mood disorders in young adults. Arch Clin Psychiatry (Sao Paulo) 41:72–76. https://doi.org/10.1590/0101-60830000000014 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Beck AT, Steer RA, Brown GK (1996) Manual for the Beck depression inventory II. Psychological Corporation, San AntonioGoogle Scholar
- Brazilian Association of Research Companies (2013) Brazilian Economic Classification Criteria. http://www.abep.org/. Accessed 31 May 2019
- Coelho FMC, Pinheiro RT, Silva RA, Quevedo LA, Souza LDM, Castelli RD, Matos MB, Pinheiro KAT (2013) Major depressive disorder during teenage pregnancy: socio-demographic, obstetric and psychosocial correlates. Braz J Psychiatry 35:051–056. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rbp.2012.03.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cunha JÁ (2001) Manual of the Portuguese version of the Beck scales. Casa do Psicólogo, São PauloGoogle Scholar
- Ferri CP, Mitsuhiro SS, Barros MC, Chalem E, Guisburg R, Patel V, Prince M, Laranjeira R (2007) The impact of maternal experience of violence and common mental disorders on neonatal outcomes: a survey of adolescent mothers in Sao Paulo, Brazil. BMC Public Health 7:209. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-7-209 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Fisher J, Cabral de Mello M, Patel V, Rahman A, Tran T, Holton S, Holmes W (2012) Prevalence and determinants of common perinatal mental disorders in women in low- and lower-middle-income countries: a systematic review. Bull World Health Organ 90:139–149H. https://doi.org/10.2471/blt.11.091850 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hart S, Germain R, Brassard M (1987) The challenge: to better understand and combat psychological maltreatment of children and young. In: Brassard M, Germain R, Hart S (eds) Psychological maltreatment of children and youth. Pergamon, New York, pp 3–24Google Scholar
- Lindert J, von Ehrenstein OS, Grashow R, Gal G, Braehler E, Weisskopf MG (2014) Sexual and physical abuse in childhood is associated with depression and anxiety over the life course: systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Public Health 59:359–372. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-013-0519-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Loaiza E, Liang M (2013) Adolescent pregnancy: a review of the Evidence. UNFPA. https://www.unfpa.org/sites/default/files/pub-pdf/ADOLESCENT%20PREGNANCY_UNFPA.pdf. Accessed 31 May 2019
- Meltzer-Brody S, Boschloo L, Jones I, Sullivan PF, Penninx BW (2013) The EPDS-Lifetime: assessment of lifetime prevalence and risk factors for perinatal depression in a large cohort of depressed women. Arch Womens Ment Health 16:465–473. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00737-013-0372-9 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tekin A, Meriç C, Sağbilge E, Kenar J, Yayla S, Özer ÖA, Karamustafalioğlu O (2016) The relationship between childhood sexual/physical abuse and sexual dysfunction in patients with social anxiety disorder. Nord J Psychiatry 70:88–92. https://doi.org/10.3109/08039488.2015.1053097 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Vaughn-Coaxum RA, Wang Y, Kiely J, Weisz JR, Dunn EC (2018) Associations between trauma type, timing, and accumulation on current coping behaviors in adolescents: results from a large, population-based sample. J Youth Adolesc 47:842–858. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-017-0693-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization & International Society for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (2006) Preventing Child Maltreatment: a guide to taking action and generating evidence. https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/43499/9241594365_eng.pdf;jsessionid=7A892AB098B539E74A5C413AD8A949AA?sequence=1. Accessed 31 May 2019