The effect of macrosocial policies on violence against women: a multilevel study in 28 European countries
To describe and analyze whether a relationship exists between gender equality and political responses to gender violence (GV) against women with physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence (IPV) in the European Union (EU).
We analyzed a subsample of 39,269 ever-partnered women aged 18 and older from the violence against women survey (2012) of the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights. Outcome was last 12 months physical and/or sexual IPV. Multilevel Poisson regression models were used.
Current prevalence of IPV was 4.2%. Having suffered abuse by an adult before age 15 was the strongest associated factor for increasing the probability of suffering (PR: 2.9). Living in countries with higher gender equality, with anti-GV legislation prior to 2005, in countries where the state involved multiple actors in GV response and in countries with family policies included in the Anglo-Saxon, Eastern European and Southern European typologies (reference: Nordic), diminishes the women likelihood of suffering IPV.
The response to IPV in the EU requires an integral approach that accounts for the efforts of multiple sectors as well as policies that reach greater levels of gender equality in the countries.
KeywordsIntimate partner violence Spouse abuse European Union Legislation Multilevel analysis
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This manuscript reflects original work. The manuscript has not been published previously (partly or in full) and is not under consideration elsewhere. All authors have participated in conception and design, or analysis and interpretation of the data; drafting the article or revising it critically for important intellectual content; and approval of the final version and accept responsibility for its contents. European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights approved and supervised this secondary data analysis and design and provides a special license for this purpose (reference number 93210).
- Council of Europe (2011) Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence. https://rm.coe.int/168046031c. Accessed 4 Apr 2018
- European Institute for Gender Equality (2014) Estimating the costs of gender-based violence in the European Union. http://eige.europa.eu/rdc/eige-publications/estimating-costs-gender-based-violence-european-union-report Accessed 4 Apr 2018
- European Institute for Gender Equality (2017) Gender Equality Index 2017: measuring gender equality in the European Union 2005–2015. Report. ISBN: 978-92-9493-768-1 http://doi.org/10.2839/251500. http://eige.europa.eu/rdc/eige-publications/gender-equality-index-2017-measuring-gender-equality-european-union-2005-2015-report Accessed 4 Apr 2018
- European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (2015) European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA): Violence Against Women survey, 2012: Special Licence Access. [data collection]. UK Data Service. SN: 7730. http://doi.org/10.5255/UKDA-SN-7730-1
- Fulu E, Jewkes R, Roselli T, Garcia-Moreno C (2013) UN multi-country cross-sectional study on men and violence research team. Prevalence of and factors associated with male perpetration of intimate partner violence: findings from the UN multi-country cross-sectional study on men and violence in Asia and the Pacific. Lancet Glob Health 1(4):e187–e207. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(13)70074-3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Garcia-Moreno C, Jansen HA, Ellsberg M, Heise L, Watts CH (2006) WHO multi-country study on women’s health and domestic violence against women study team. Prevalence of intimate partner violence: findings from the WHO multi-country study on women’s health and domestic violence. Lancet 368(9543):1260–1269CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Istituto Nazionale di Statistica (2015) Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri. La Violenca contro le donne dentro e fuori la familia. Anno 2014. https://www.istat.it/it/files/2015/06/Violenze_contro_le_donne.pdf?title=Violenza+contro+le+donne+-+05%2Fgiu%2F2015+-+Testo+integrale.pdf. Accessed 4 Apr 2018
- Korpi W, Ferrarini T, Englund S (2013) Women’s opportunities under different family policy constellations: gender, class, and inequality tradeoffs in western countries re-examined. Soc Polit Int Stud Gend State Soc 20(1):1e40Google Scholar
- Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality (2015) Study for the exchange of good practices and legal instruments in the fight against gender-based violence between Norway, Iceland and Spain with reference to the existing legislation in the countries of the European Union. http://www.eeagrants.spain.msssi.gob.es/en/infoProyectos/pdf/BBPP_EN.pdf. Accessed 4 Apr 2018
- Pan American Health Organization (2003) Componentes clave en la formulación de leyes y políticas contra la violencia hacia las mujeres. Documento de discussion. [Key components in the formulation of laws and policies against violence against women. Discussion Paper]. Washington: OPS; 2003 www.paho.org/Spanish/DPM/GPP/GH/ComponentesClave.pdf. Accessed 2 Apr 2018
- Sanz-Barbero B, Vives-Cases C, Otero-García L, Muntaner C, Torrubiano-Domínguez J, O’Campo P (2015) Intimate partner violence among women in Spain: the impact of regional-level male unemployment and income inequality. Eur J Public Health 25(6):1105–1111. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckv048 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Snijders TAB, Bosker RJ (2012) Multilevel analysis: an introduction to basic and advanced multilevel modeling, 2nd edn. Sage Publications Ltd, LondonGoogle Scholar
- United Nations (1995) Fourth world conference on women. Beijing, China. September 1995. http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/beijing/fwcwn.html Accessed 2 Apr 2018
- United Nations (2010) Handbook for legislation on violence against women. New York, UN, 2010. (ST/ESA/329). www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/vaw/handbook/Handbook%20for%20legislation%20on%20violence%20against%20women.pdf. Accessed 4 Apr 2018
- United Nation (2015) Transforming our world: The 2030 agenda for sustainable development. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/21252030%20Agenda%20for%20Sustainable%20Development%20web.pdf. Accessed 12 June 2018
- United Nations (2016). Human development report 2016. Human development for every one United Nations development programme. ISSN: 0969-501 http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/2016_human_development_report.pdf. Accessed 29 Mar 2018
- World Economic Forum (2015). Global gender gap index 2015. http://reports.weforum.org/global-gender-gap-report-2015/the-global-gender-gap-index-2015/. Accessed 4 Apr 2018