Extra Sign Bit Hiding Algorithm Based on Recovery of Transform Coefficients
This paper focuses on applying a new sign bit hiding method to improve the video coding efficiency. Sign bits account for a large proportion of the encoded stream conforming to the latest high efficiency video coding (HEVC) standard; hence, its hiding technique is of great significance. In this paper, an extra sign bit hiding algorithm is proposed. The parity of the sum of the first and last nonzero coefficients in a coefficient group is used to predict the sign bit, and one more bit could be hidden at the coefficient group level based on state-of-the-art algorithms. The proposed algorithm could recover transform coefficients with minor adjustment on multiple sign bit hiding technique in HEVC. Evaluation results on standard test sequences demonstrate \(-\,0.06\)% BD-rate gain compared to well-known multiple sign bit hiding method. Besides, either the quality loss or complexity increase is negligible with the proposed algorithm, which is applicable in real-time processing.
KeywordsHEVC Sign bit hiding Recovery Transform coefficient
This work has been supported by NSFC Grant Nos. 61401337, 91538101, 61501346, 61502367, the 111 Project (B08038), Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, the Key Research and Development Program of Shaanxi Province and the Ten Thousand Talent Program.
- 1.V. Bansal, A.K. Chawla, M.N. Shukla, Reverse scan for transform skip mode in HEVC codec, in IEEE International Conference on Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP) (2013), pp. 1–4Google Scholar
- 2.G. Bjontegaard, Calculation of average PSNR differences between RD curves. ITU-T SC16/Q6, VCEG-M33 (Austin, Texas, USA, 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.G. Bjontegaard, Improvements of the BD-PSNR model. ITU-T SG16/Q6, VCEG-AI11, (Berlin, Germany, 2008)Google Scholar
- 4.F. Bossen, Common HM test conditions and software reference configurations, document JCTVC-L1100 of JCT-VC (Geneva, 2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding (JCT-VC), HM-16.0 reference model: https://hevc.hhi.fraunhofer.de/svn/svn_HEVCSoftware/tags/HM-16.0/
- 11.J. Wang, X. Yu, D. He, F. Henry, G. Clare, Multiple sign bits hiding for high efficiency video coding, in IEEE International Conference on Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP) (2012), pp. 1–6Google Scholar
- 12.X. Zhang, O.C. Au, C. Pang, W. Dai, Y. Guo, L. Fang, Additional sign bit hiding of transform coefficients in HEVC, in IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo Workshops (ICMEW) (2013), pp. 1–4Google Scholar