Nonlocal conservation laws with time delay
- 61 Downloads
This study considers nonlocal conservation laws in which the velocity depends nonlocally on the solution not in real time but in a time-delayed manner. Nonlocal refers to the fact that the velocity of the conservation law depends on the solution integrated over a specific area in space. In every model modelling human’s behavior a time delay as reaction/response time is crucial. We distinguish a so called nonlocal classical delay model where only the velocity of the conservation law is delayed from a more realistic nonlocal delay model where also a shift backwards in space is considered. For both models we show existence and uniqueness of the solutions and study their analytical properties. We also present a direct application in traffic flow modelling. We also show that for delay approaching zero, the solutions of the considered delayed models converge to the solutions of the non-delayed models in the proper topology. Finally, a comprehensive numerical study illustrating exemplary the impacts of delay and nonlocality are presented and compared with nonlocal models without delay, as well as the corresponding local models.
KeywordsNonlocal conservation laws Nonlocal balance laws Delay Traffic flow modelling with delay LWR PDE with delay Convergence for vanishing delay Existence Uniqueness
Mathematics Subject Classification35L65 35L03 65M25
The authors would like to thank the referees for their careful and detailed proof reading and suggestions for improvements.
Travel funding provided by the “Bavaria California Technology Center” (BaCaTeC) is thankfully acknowledged.
- 6.Blandin, S., Goatin, P.: Well-posedness of a conservation law with non-local flux arising in traffic flow modeling. Numerische Mathematik, pp. 1–25 (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Driver, R.D.: Ordinary and Delay Differential Equations, vol. 20. Springer Science & Business Media, (2012)Google Scholar
- 20.Greenshields, B.D., Channing, W., Miller, H.: A study of traffic capacity. In Highway Research Board Proceedings, volume 1935. National Research Council (USA), Highway Research Board, (1935)Google Scholar
- 23.Hale, J.K.: Ordinary differential equations. Co., Huntington, NY, 46, (1980)Google Scholar
- 29.Keimer, A., Pflug, L., Spinola, M.: Nonlocal balance laws: Theory of convergence for nondissipative numerical schemes. submitted, (2018)Google Scholar
- 31.Leoni, G.: A first course in Sobolev spaces, volume 105 ofGraduate Studies in Mathematics. American MathematicalSociety, Providence, RI, (2009)Google Scholar
- 33.Perthame, B.: Transport equations in biology. Springer Science & Business Media, (2006)Google Scholar
- 34.Peukert, W., Segets, D., Pflug, L., Leugering, G.: Unified design strategies for particulate products. In Adv. Chem. Eng. (2015)Google Scholar
- 35.Piccoli, B., Duteil, N.P., Trélat, E.: Sparse control of Hegselmann-Krause models: Black hole and declustering. arXiv:1802.00615 (2018)