Application of Coded Excitation Signals for Measurement of Rock Ultrasonic Wave Velocity
- 26 Downloads
The accurate measurement of ultrasonic velocity requires the detected waveforms to have a high signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Coded excitation technique (CET) can improve the SNR without resolution loss. This study introduces the basic principles of phase-coded technology and gives a synthetic and experimental evaluation of Barker and Golay codes. All the results show that CET can increase the SNR, but the gain in SNR (GSNR) is lower than the theoretical value. The velocity measurements on red sandstone and granite verify that the Barker code has better pulse compression performance than the Golay code. Besides, the application of Barker-coded signals on the velocity monitoring of uniaxially compressed rock proves that the Barker CET is reliable.
KeywordsRock ultrasound testing barker code golay-coded excitation pulse compression
This research is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (41104117), and a research grant from the Institute of Crustal Dynamics, China Earthquake Administration (No. ZDJ2013-10).
- Barbier, M. G. (1982). Pulse coding in seismology. Boston: International Human Resources Development Corporation.Google Scholar
- Ge, H., Lin, J., Wang, B., Song, L.-L., Luo, G., & Chen, Y. (2006). A field experiment study of improving the seismic detectability with coded source. Chinese Journal of Geophysics, 49(3), 864–870.Google Scholar
- Kiefer, D. A., Fink, M., & Rupitsch, S. J. (2017). Simultaneous ultrasonic measurement of thickness and speed of sound in elastic plates using coded excitation signals. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 64(11), 1744–1757. https://doi.org/10.1109/TUFFC.2017.2746900.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li, C., Zhang, B., & Shi, F. (2013a). Elastic wave velocity inspection for rocks by pulse compression method. Rock and Soil Mechanics, 34(6), 1815–1821.Google Scholar
- Liu, Y., & Zhou, S. (2016). Application of Golay coded pulse compression in air-coupled ultrasonic testing of flexible package seal defect. In International Conference on Engineering Technology and Application, 667–72.Google Scholar
- Zhu, W., & Wu, H.Z. (2017). Characterization and analysis of coded excitation ultrasound parameters for rock properties. Chinese Journal of Acoustics, 36(1), 29–42.Google Scholar