A nonrelativistic limit for AdS perturbations
The familiar c → ∞ nonrelativistic limit converts the Klein-Gordon equation in Minkowski spacetime to the free Schrödinger equation, and the Einstein-massive-scalar system without a cosmological constant to the Schrödinger-Newton (SN) equation. In this paper, motivated by the problem of stability of Anti-de Sitter (AdS) spacetime, we examine how this limit is affected by the presence of a negative cosmological constant Λ. Assuming for consistency that the product Λc2 tends to a negative constant as c → ∞, we show that the corresponding nonrelativistic limit is given by the SN system with an external harmonic potential which we call the Schrödinger-Newton-Hooke (SNH) system. We then derive the resonant approximation which captures the dynamics of small amplitude spherically symmetric solutions of the SNH system. This resonant system turns out to be much simpler than its general-relativistic version, which makes it amenable to analytic methods. Specifically, in four spatial dimensions, we show that the resonant system possesses a three-dimensional invariant subspace on which the dynamics is completely integrable and hence can be solved exactly. The evolution of the two-lowest-mode initial data (an extensively studied case for the original general-relativistic system), in particular, is described by this family of solutions.
KeywordsClassical Theories of Gravity AdS-CFT Correspondence Conformal and W Symmetry Integrable Field Theories
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- P. Gérard and S. Grellier, The cubic Szegő equation, Annales Sci. Ecole Norm. Sup. 43 (2010) 761 [arXiv:0906.4540].
- P. Germain, Z. Hani and L. Thomann, On the continuous resonant equation for NLS: I. Deterministic analysis, J. Math. Pur. App. 105 (2016) 131 [arXiv:1501.03760].
- J. Fröhlich and E. Lenzmann, Mean-field limit of quantum Bose gases and nonlinear Hartree equation, talk at Séminaire Équations aux Dérivées Partielles, 2003-2004, Exp. No. XIX [math-ph/0409019].
- R. Carles, N.J. Mauser and H.P. Stimming, (Semi)classical limit of the Hartree equation with harmonic potential SIAM J. Appl. Math. 66 (2005) 29.Google Scholar
- C.W. Misner, K.S. Thorne and J.A. Wheeler, Gravitation, Freeman and Co (1973).Google Scholar
- T. Tao, A pseudoconformal compactification of the nonlinear Schrödinger equation and applications, New York J. Math. 15 (2009) 265 [math/0606254].
- J.A. Murdock, Perturbations: Theory and Methods, SIAM (1987).Google Scholar
- S. Kuksin and A. Maiocchi, The effective equation method, in New Approaches to Nonlinear Waves, Springer (2016) [arXiv:1501.04175].
- M.V. Berry and M. Tabor, Level clustering in the regular spectrum, Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. A 356 (1977) 375.Google Scholar
- F. Haake, Quantum signatures of chaos, Springer (2001).Google Scholar
- T. Cazenave, Semilinear Schrödinger equations, Courant Lecture Notes, Vol. 10, AMS (2003).Google Scholar
- A.I. Aptekarev and D.N. Tulyakov, Asymptotics of L p -norms of Laguerre polynomials and entropic moments of D-dimensional oscillator, Keldysh Institute preprints (2015) 041 [http://mi.mathnet.ru/eng/ipmp/y2015/p41].