Traversable wormholes as quantum channels: exploring CFT entanglement structure and channel capacity in holography
We interpret the traversable wormhole in AdS/CFT in the context of quantum information theory. In particular, we investigate its properties as both a quantum channel and entanglement witness. We define protocols that allow either the bounding of the channel’s entanglement capacity or the determination of aspects of the entanglement structure between the two boundary CFTs. Such protocols and connections allow for the use of quantum channel techniques in the study of gravitational physics and vice versa. More generally, our results suggest a purely quantum information-theoretic criterion for recognizing when the product of two boundary theories has a classical bulk interpretation.
KeywordsAdS-CFT Correspondence Black Holes
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- W. Israel, Thermo field dynamics of black holes, Phys. Lett. A 57 (1976) 107 [INSPIRE].
- M. Nielsen and I. Chuang, Quantum computation and quantum information, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K., (2000).Google Scholar
- J. Preskill, Foundations II: measurement and evolution, unpublished notes, (2015).
- C. Shannon, The mathematical theory of communication, University of Illinois Press, Chicago, IL, U.S.A., (1949).Google Scholar
- C. Bennett, A. Harrow, D. Leung and J. Smolin, On the capacities of bipartite Hamiltonians and unitary gates, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory 49 (2003) 1895 [quant-ph/0205057].
- P.M. Hayden, M. Horodecki and B.M. Terhal, The asymptotic entanglement cost of preparing a quantum state, J. Phys. A 34 (2001) 6891.Google Scholar
- T. Dray and G. ’t Hooft, The gravitational shock wave of a massless particle, Nucl. Phys. B 253 (1985) 173 [INSPIRE].
- D.L. Jafferis, Teleportation through wormholes and quantum mechanics from the inside, in preparation.Google Scholar
- V. Giovannetti, R. García-Patrón, N.J. Cerf and A.S. Holevo, Ultimate classical communication rates of quantum optical channels, Nature Photonics 8 (2014) 796 [arXiv:1312.6225].
- M.M. Wolf, D. Pérez-García and G. Giedke, Quantum capacities of bosonic channels, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98 (2007) 130501 [quant-ph/0606132].