Stability analysis of classical string solutions and the dressing method
- 19 Downloads
The dressing method is a technique to construct new solutions in non-linear sigma models under the provision of a seed solution. This is analogous to the use of autoBäcklund transformations for systems of the sine-Gordon type. In a recent work, this method was applied to the sigma model that describes string propagation on ℝ × S2, using as seeds the elliptic string solutions. Some of the new solutions that emerge reveal instabilities of their elliptic precursors . The focus of the present work is the fruitful use of the dressing method in the study of the stability of closed string solutions. It establishes an equivalence between the dressing method and the conventional linear stability analysis. More importantly, this equivalence holds true in the presence of appropriate periodicity conditions that closed strings must obey. Our investigations point to the direction of the dressing method being a general tool for the study of the stability of classical string configurations in the diverse class of symmetric spacetimes.
KeywordsBosonic Strings Long strings
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- K. Pohlmeyer, Integrable Hamiltonian Systems and Interactions Through Quadratic Constraints, Commun. Math. Phys. 46 (1976) 207 [INSPIRE].
- V.E. Zakharov and A.V. Mikhailov, Relativistically Invariant Two-Dimensional Models in Field Theory Integrable by the Inverse Problem Technique (in Russian), Sov. Phys. JETP 47 (1978) 1017 [INSPIRE].
- V.E. Zakharov and A.V. Mikhailov, On the integrability of classical spinor models in two-dimensional space-time, Commun. Math. Phys. 74 (1980) 21 [INSPIRE].
- J.P. Harnad, Y. Saint Aubin and S. Shnider, Backlund Transformations for Nonlinear σ Models With Values in Riemannian Symmetric Spaces, Commun. Math. Phys. 92 (1984) 329 [INSPIRE].
- C.K.R.T. Jones, R. Marangell, P.D. Miller, R.G. Plaza, On the Stability Analysis of Periodic Sine-Gordon Traveling Waves, Physica D 251 (2013) 63 [arXiv:1210.0659].
- B. Wang, Stability of Helicoids in Hyperbolic Three-Dimensional Space, arXiv:1502.04764.
- B. Wang, Least Area Spherical Catenoids in Hyperbolic Three-Dimensional Space, arXiv:1204.4943.