Gravitational production of super-Hubble-mass particles: an analytic approach
- 14 Downloads
Through a mechanism similar to perturbative particle scattering, particles of mass mχ larger than the Hubble expansion rate Hinf during inflation can be gravitationally produced at the end of inflation without the exponential suppression powers of exp(−mχ/Hinf ). Here we develop an analytic formalism for computing particle production for such massive particles. We apply our formalism to specific models that have been previously been studied only numerically, and we find that our analytical approximations reproduce those numerical estimates well.
KeywordsCosmology of Theories beyond the SM Space-Time Symmetries
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- A.H. Guth, The inflationary universe: a possible solution to the horizon and flatness problems, Phys. Rev. D 23 (1981) 347 [INSPIRE].
- A.D. Linde, A new inflationary universe scenario: a possible solution of the horizon, flatness, homogeneity, isotropy and primordial monopole problems, Phys. Lett. 108B (1982) 389 [INSPIRE].
- A.A. Starobinsky, A new type of isotropic cosmological models without singularity, Phys. Lett. B 91 (1980) 99 [INSPIRE].
- R. Allahverdi, R. Brandenberger, F.-Y. Cyr-Racine and A. Mazumdar, Reheating in inflationary cosmology: theory and applications, Ann. Rev. Nucl. Part. Sci. 60 (2010) 27 [arXiv:1001.2600].
- D. Baumann and L. McAllister, Inflation and string theory, Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge U.K. (2015).Google Scholar
- K. Sato and J. Yokoyama, Inflationary cosmology: first 30+ years, Int. J. Mod. Phys. D 24 (2015) 1530025 [INSPIRE].
- J.H. Traschen and R.H. Brandenberger, Particle production during out-of-equilibrium phase transitions, Phys. Rev. D 42 (1990) 2491 [INSPIRE].
- N.D. Birrell and P.C.W. Davies, Quantum fields in curved space, Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. (1984).Google Scholar
- G.D. Coughlan, W. Fischler, E.W. Kolb, S. Raby and G.G. Ross, Cosmological problems for the Polonyi potential, Phys. Lett. B 131 (1983) 59.Google Scholar