Health Claims on Foods in Canada: Toward Successful Implementation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hornstra G, Barth CA, Galli C, Mensink RP, Mutanen M, Riemersma RA, et al. Functional food science and the cardiovascular system. Br J Nutr 1998;80(1):S113-46.Google Scholar
- 5.Health Canada, Therapeutic Products Programme and the Food Directorate of the Health Protection Branch. Nutraceuticals/functional foods and health claims on foods policy: Policy paper. Ottawa, ON: 1998. Available online at: https://doi.org/www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hpb-dgps/therapeut/zfiles/english/ffn/nutra_pol_e.pdf.Google Scholar
- 6.Food and Drug Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services. Regulatory impact analysis of the final rules to amend the food labeling regulations. Federal Register 1993;58:2927–41.Google Scholar
- 7.Public Works and Government Services Canada, Canada Gazette Directorate. Regulations amending the food and drug regulations (nutrition labeling, nutrition claims and health claims). Ottawa (ON): Canada Gazette: Part I, June 16, 2001: 135(24). Available on-line at: https://doi.org/www.hc-sc.gc.ca/food-aliment/english/publications/ acts_and_ regulations /part_1/1172_index.html.
- 8.Health Canada, Bureau of Nutritional Sciences, Food Directorate Branch. Standards of evidence for evaluating foods with health claims: A proposed framework. Ottawa (ON): 2000. Available on-line at: https://doi.org/www.hc-sc.gc.ca/food-aliment/ns-sc/ne-en/health_claims-allegations_sante/pdf/e_Consultation_doc_en.pdf.Google Scholar
- 9.Health Canada, Bureau of Nutritional Sciences, Food Directorate Branch. Chronology of events: Policy development process. Ottawa (ON). Available on-line at: https://doi.org/www.hc-sc.gc.ca/food-aliment/ns-sc/ne-en/health_claims-allega-tions_sante/e_chronology_of_events_.html (updated November 24, 2000).Google Scholar
- 10.Health Canada, Bureau of Nutritional Sciences, Food Directorate Branch. Consultation document on generic health claims. Ottawa, ON: August 2000. Available on-line at: https://doi.org/www.hc-sc.gc.ca/food-aliment/ns-sc/ne-en/health_claims-allegations_sante/e_consulta-tion_doc_ gen.html.Google Scholar
- 11.Health Canada, Bureau of Nutritional Sciences, Food Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch. Product-specific authorization of health claims for foods: A proposed regulatory framework. Ottawa, ON: October 2001. Available online at: https://doi.org/www.hc-sc.gc.ca/food-aliment/ns-sc/ne-en/health_claims-allegations_sante/pdf/e_finalproposal.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 12.Stephen AM, Liston AJ, Anthony SP, Munro IC, Anderson GH. Regulation of foods with health claims: A proposal. Can J Public Health 2002;93(5):328–31.Google Scholar
- 13.Unnevehr L, Ward MR, Hasler C. Regulating health claims on food products: The balance between consumer choice and consumer protection. Choices First Quarter 1998;26–30.Google Scholar
- 14.Food and Drug Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Food Labeling: Health Claims; Soluble fiber from whole oats and risk of coronary heart disease; Final rule. Federal Register 1997;62(61).Google Scholar
- 21.Goldfarb: Consultants for Health Canada, Nutrition Evaluation Division Food Directorate. Health Claims Focus Testing: October 2000. Ottawa (ON): October 2000. Available on-line at: https://doi.org/www.hc-sc.gc.ca/food-aliment/ns-sc/ne-en/health_claims-allegations_sante/e_hc_ focus_testing.html.Google Scholar
© The Canadian Public Health Association 2003