New Lightweight Kiln Furniture Made by Combination of Ceramic Green Tapes and Extrudates
Manufacturing technology for new kiln furniture with a significantly lower density and thermal capacity are presented. Extrusion and tape casting are used as two highly productive technologies to produce different green ceramic pre-products, which are combined and co-sintered to realize kiln furniture. Planar green tapes are laminated with an extruded supporting structure including macroscopic cavities to allow passage of the kiln atmosphere and additionally reduce the density and heat capacity of the structure. With such kiln furniture high heating and cooling rates up to 10 K/min can be realized without any defects resulting from thermal stresses. The improved temperature distribution achieved allows a reduction of necessary dwell times. Both make it possible to save energy and time.
Keywordskiln furniture multilayer tape casting extrusion energy saving
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berroth, K.: Komplexe Strukturen aus Hochleistungskeramik. cfi/ber. DKG 82 (2005)Google Scholar
- Scheithauer, U., Freytag, C., Haderk, K., Moritz, T., Zins, M., Michaelis, A.: Novel Generation of Kiln Furniture. Proceedings of the Unified International Technical Conference on Refractories (UNITECR 2013), Energy Savings through Refractory Design, Edited by Dana G. Goski, Jeffrey D. Smith (2014) Chapter 63, 361–365Google Scholar
- Scheithauer, U., Dannowski, M., Schwarzer, E., Slawik, T.: Innovative Kiln Furniture, their Influence on the Temperature Distribution within the Kiln, and a New Production Technology. INTERCERAM — Refractories Manual 63 (2014)  312–316Google Scholar
- Scheithauer, U., Slawik, T., Schwarzer, E., Tscharntke, F., Richter, H.-J., Moritz, T., Michaelis, A.: New lightweight Kiln furniture — production processes and properties, Proceedings of CMCEE 2015, Vancouver, Canada (accepted for publication)Google Scholar
- Mistler, R. E., Twiname, E. R.: Tape casting Theory and Practice. Wiley-Blackwell (2000), ISBN: 978-1-57498-029-5Google Scholar
- Haderk, K., Scheithauer, U., Richter, H.-J., Petasch, U., Michaelis, A.: Development of Ceramic Tapes for Thermal Shock Resistant Calcium Aluminate Refractory Materials with Graded Porosity. Refractories Manual (2012)  84–87Google Scholar
- Händle F.: Extrusion in Ceramics. Springer (2009), ISBN 978-3-540-27102-4Google Scholar
- Scheithauer, U., Haderk, K., Richter, H.-J., Petasch, U., Michaelis, A.: Influence of the kind and amount of pore forming agents on the thermal shock behaviour of carbon-free refractory components produced by multilayer technology. Refractories WORLDFORUM 4 (2011)  130–136Google Scholar