Reaction Sintering of Zirconia-Mullite Composites in the Presence of SrO
Reaction sintering of zirconia mullite composites was studied using zircon sand and alumina as the starting materials and SrO as additive up to 6 mass-% in the temperature range of 1500–1600°C. Reaction sintered products were characterized for densification and phase analysis study. SrO up to 4 mass-% was found to be highly beneficial for densification but a higher amount at higher temperatures was found to cause some desintering effect. SrO was found to have no effect on the phase content, and the reaction between zircon and alumina was found to be incomplete even at 1600°C, with and without additive conditions.
Keywordszircon alumina reaction sintering SrO additive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Skoog, A.J., Moore, R.E.: Refractory of the past for the future: Mullite and its use as bonding phase. Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 67 (1988)  1180–1185Google Scholar
- DePortu, G., Henney, J.W.: The microstructure and mechanical properties of mullite-zirconia composite. Trans. and J. Br. Ceram. Soc. 83 (1984)  69–72Google Scholar
- Prochazka, S., Wallace, J.S., Claussen, N.: Microstructure of sintered mullite-zirconia composites. J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 66 (1983)  C125–C127Google Scholar
- Wallace, J.S., Petzow, G., Claussen, N.: Microstructure and property development of in situ-reacted mullite-ZrO2 composites. In: Advances in ceramics. Vol. 12: Science and technology of zirconia II. Ed. Claussen, N., Rühle, M., Heuer, A.H., The American Ceramic Society, Columbus, USA (1984) 436–442, ISBN: 0-916094-64-2Google Scholar
- Holstorm, M., Chartier, T., Boch, P.: Reaction sintered ZrO2-mullite composites. Mater. Sci. Eng. A109 (1989) 105–109Google Scholar
- Wallace, J.S., Claussen, N., Rühle, M., Petzow, G.: Development of phases in in situ reacted mullite zirconia composites. In: surfaces and interfaces in ceramic and ceramic metal systems. Ed. Pask, J., Evans, A., Plenum Publishing Corp., New York (1981) 155–165, ISBN: 0-306-40726-4CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rincon, J.M., Moya, J.S.: Microstructural study of toughened ZrO2/mullite ceramic composites obtained by reaction sintering with TiO2 additions. Brit. Ceram. Trans. J. 85 (1986)  201–206Google Scholar
- Sarkar, R., Ghosh, A., Halder, M.K., Mukherjee, B., Das, S.K.: Effect of lanthanum oxide on reaction sintering of zirconia-mullite composites. Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 85 (2006)  9201–9208Google Scholar