Collaboration With the Nonphysician Therapist
- 23 Downloads
The integration of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy becomes more complex when two clinicians collaborate in providing patient treatment. A course for postgraduate third-year psychiatry residents was developed to review the literature, discuss various treatment models, and delineate the technical skills and treatment issues involved in the collaborative model. This article describes the course content, design, and evaluation at one institution.
KeywordsResidency Training Parallel Treatment Community Psychiatry Residency Training Program Clinical Vignette
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Klerman GL: Conceptual issues in combined treatment, in Psychopharmacology and Psychotherapy, edited by Greenhill MH, Gralnick M. New York, Macmillan, 1983, pp. 13–20Google Scholar
- 5.Ostow M: Drugs in Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy. New York, Basic Books, 1962Google Scholar
- 13.Woodward B, Duckworth KS, Gutheil TG: The Pharmacotherapist- psychotherapist collaboration, in American Psychiatric Press Review of Psychiatry, Vol 12, edited by Oldham JM, Riba MB, Tasman A. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Press, Inc., 1993Google Scholar
- 15.McNutt ER, Severino SK, Schomer J: Dilemmas of interdisciplinary outpatient care: an approach towards their amelioration. Journal of Psychiatric Education 1987; 11:59–65Google Scholar
- 16.Hansen-Grant RS, Riba MB: Contact between psychotherapists and psychiatric residents for patients treated by nonmedical psychotherapists. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1995; 42:276–280Google Scholar
- 20.Luborsky L: Helping alliances in psychotherapy, in Successful Psychotherapy, edited by Claghorn JL. New York, Brunner/Mazel, 1976Google Scholar
- 21.Smith JM: Some dimensions of transference in combined treatment, in The Psychotherapist’s Guide to Pharmacotherapy, edited by Ellison JM. Chicago, IL, Mosby-Year Book Medical Publishers, 1989, pp. 79–95Google Scholar
- 25.Chiles JA, Carlin AS, Benjamin GA, et al: A physician, a nonmedical psychotherapist, and a patient: the pharmacotherapy triangle, in Integrating Pharmacotherapy and Psychotherapy, edited by Beitman BD, Klerman GL. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Press, 1991, pp.105–118Google Scholar
- 28.Beitman BD, Klerman GL (eds): Integrating Pharmacotherapy and Psychotherapy. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Press, 1991Google Scholar
- 29.Roose SP: Psychoanalysis and medication. Bulletin of the Association of Psychoanalytic Medicine 1988; 28:89–92Google Scholar
- 30.Biegel A: Planning psychiatry’s future. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1986; 37:551–554Google Scholar