A comparison of pain and anxiety associated with the administration of maxillary local analgesia with Wand and conventional technique
- 122 Downloads
AIM: This was to compare the sensation of pain when injections were given using the Wand computer controlled local analgesia (LA) system and a conventional technique in children of pre-school and school age. METHODS: 38 children were randomly assigned to either a treatment or control group. The treatment (Wand) group consisted of 20 children, while the control group (conventional LA technique) consisted of 18 children. The children were aged between 39.0 and 120.0 months with a mean age of 81.9 months (SD-23.2). One operator carried out all local analgesia administrations. Pain sensation was rated using the VAS scale by the operator, each child and their parent. Anxiety was rated using the Venham scale. RESULTS: No statistical difference in pain sensation and anxiety was found when the Wand was used, compared with the conventional technique (P=0.710, P=0.976). The results also showed no significant difference in anxiety change between males and females in the two groups (P=0.714). CONCLUSION: There was no difference in the pain or anxiety experienced by the children in the conventional and Wand group.
Key wordschildren local analgesia pain anxiety
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Society of Anesthesiologists. New classification of physical status. Anesthesiol 1963;24:111.Google Scholar
- Asarch T, Allen K, Petersen B, Beigradi S. Efficacy of a computerized local anaesthesia device in paedi`atric dentistry. Pediatr Dent 1999;2:421–424.Google Scholar
- Gibson R, Allen K, Huftless S, Beiraghi S. The Wand vs traditional injections: A comparison of pain related behaviors. Pediatr Dent 2000;21:458–462.Google Scholar
- Millestone Scientific. The Wand: Computer controlled anaesthesia delivery system. Manual. 1998.Google Scholar
- Primosch R, Brooks R. Influence of anaesthetic flow rate delivered by the Wand local anaesthetic system on pain response to palatal injections. Am J Pediatr Dent 2002;15:15–19.Google Scholar
- Ram D, Peretz B. The assessment of pain sensation during local anesthesia (Wand) and a conventional syringe. J Dent Child 2003a;70:130–133.Google Scholar
- Ram D, Peretz B. Assessing the pain reaction of children receiving periodontal ligament anesthesia using a computerized device (Wand). J Clin Pediatr Dent 2003b; 27:247–50.Google Scholar