Advertisement

European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry

, Volume 9, Issue 2, pp 102–104 | Cite as

Facial and oral injuries in Brazilian children aged 5–17 years: 5-year review

  • A. L. CavalcantiEmail author
  • T. R. Melo
Article

Abstract

Aim: This was to assess causes of maxillofacial trauma using a retrospective study in Paraiba, Brazil. methods: Records of 256 patients with maxillofacial injuries aged 5–17 years treated between January 2002 to May 2006 were analyzed according to sex, age, cause of injury, frequency of dentoalveolar trauma, intraoral soft tissue injury, frequency and site of facial fracture. statistics: Chi-square and Fisher’s Exact Tests were used at a significance level of 5%; odds ratio (OR) with confidence intervals to 95% were calculated (IC95%). Results: Facial injuries were most frequent in males (78.1%) and in 13–17 year olds (60.9%); they tended to be more frequent during weekends (48%). Commonest causes were falls (37.9%) and traffic accidents (21.1 %). Nasal fractures were most common (51.3%), followed by the zygomatic-orbital complex (25.4%); dentoalveolar injuries were present in 25.8% of cases. There was a positive association between facial fracture and dentoalveolar trauma, alveolar and tooth fracture, avulsion and intraoral soft tissue injury. Conclusion: Accidental falls were found to be the leading cause of maxillofacial fractures, affecting males 3 times more than females.

Key words

Epidemiology Paediatric dentistry Surgery Oral Jaw fractures 

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. Anderson PJ. Fractures of the facial skeleton in children. Injury 1995;26:47–50.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. Al Ahmed HE, Jaber MA, Abu Fanas SH, Karas M. The pattern of maxillofacial fractures in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates: a review of 230 cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2004;98:166–70.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  3. Brasileiro BF, Passeri LA. Epidemiological analysis of maxillofacial fractures in Brazil: a 5-year prospective study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2006:102:28–34.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. Deogratius BK, Isaac MM, Farrid S. Epidemiology and management of maxillofacial fractures treated at Muhimbili National Hospital in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 1998–2003. Int Dent J 2006:56:131–4.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  5. Ferreira PC, Amarante JM, Silva PN, et al. Retrospective study of 1251 maxillofacial fractures in children and adolescents. Plast Reconstr Surg 2005;115:1500–08.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  6. Haug RH, Foss J. Maxillofacial injuries in the pediatric patient. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2000;90:126–34.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  7. Iida S, Matsuya T. Paediatric maxillofacial fractures: their aetiological characters and fracture patterns. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2002;30:237–41.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  8. Rahman RA, Ramli R, Rahman NA, et al. Maxillofacial trauma of pediatric patients in Malaysia: a retrospective study from 1999 to 2001 in three hospitals. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2007;71: 929–936.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  9. Rezende FM, Gaujac C, Rocha AC, Peres MP. A prospective study of dentoalveolar trauma at the Hospital das Clínicas, São Paulo University Medical School. Clinics 2007: 62: 133–138PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  10. Rocchi G, Fadda MT, Marianetti TM, Reale G, Iannetti G. Craniofacial trauma in adolescents: incidence, etiology, and prevention. J Trauma 2007;62:404–09.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  11. Shaikh ZS, Worrall SF. Epidemiology of facial trauma in a sample of patients aged 1–18 years. Injury 2002;33:669–71.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  12. Zerfowski M, Bremerich A. Facial trauma in children and adolescents. Clin Oral Investig 1998;2:120–4.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  13. Zimmermann CE, Troulis MJ, Kaban LB. Pediatric facial fractures: recent advances in prevention, diagnosis and management. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2005;34:823–33.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Adis International 2008

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.Dept. Pediatric Dentistry, School of DentistryState University of ParaibaParaibaBrazil

Personalised recommendations