Development of a Model Shade Guide for Primary Teeth
- 73 Downloads
Aim.: Large disparities in colour ranges and distribution between primary and permanent teeth make shade guides for permanent teeth unsuitable for primary teeth applications. The aim of the study was to develop a model shade guide for primary teeth. study Design: The Vita Easyshade intraoral spectrophotometer was used to determine colour at the middle labial/buccal third surface of 612 primary teeth of 102 patients. methods: Model shade guides, containing 1–16 tabs, were designed in CIELAB (ΔE*) and CIEDE2000 (ΔE’) colour difference formulae using nonlinear optimization. The coverage error (ΔECOV) was calculated as the mean of minimal colour differences between each of primary teeth and the “closest” shade tab. Results were analyzed using descriptive and analytical statistics. Results: The coverage error of Vitapan Classical shade guide applied to the primary teeth evaluated was 4.2 (SD ± 1.8). ΔE*COV and ΔE’COV values for model shade guides with 16 tabs were 1.8 and 1.3, respectively. The CIELAB coverage error of the model shade guide containing two tabs outperformed ΔE*COV of Vitapan Classical. Conclusions: As compared with Vitapan Classical shade guide, significantly smaller coverage error was obtained in the model shade guide with the same number of tabs, designed via constrained nonlinear optimization.
Key wordscolour shade guide restorative dentistry primary teeth spectrophotometer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berns R. Billmeyer and Saltzman’s principles of color technology. New York, John Wiley and Sons, 2000.Google Scholar
- Citron C. Esthetics in pediatric dentistry. NY State Dent J 1995; 61:30–31.Google Scholar
- Clark P, Powers JM, Seybold S, Fay R, Johnson, R. Primary teeth color in African-American, Caucasian and Hispanic patients. J Dent Res 1999; 78:231.Google Scholar
- Kim J, Paravina RD, Chen JW. In Vivo Evaluation of Color of Primary Teeth. Pediatric Dent 2007;29:209–212.Google Scholar
- Kuehni RG, Marcus RT. An experiment in visual scaling of small color differences. Color Res Appl 1979; 4:83–91.Google Scholar
- Lange K: Optimization. New York, Springer, 2004.Google Scholar
- Paravina RD, Powers JM. Esthetic Color Training in Dentistry. St. Louis, El-sevier-Mosby, 2004.Google Scholar
- Reno E, Sundberg R, Block R, Bush R. The influence of lip/gum color on subject perception of tooth color. J Dent Res 2000; 79:381.Google Scholar