1. Race A males ofDrosophila pseudo-obscura were found to possess larger tests than males of race B; the difference is statistically significant.
2. Mutant stocks ofD. pseudo-obscura were found to show a slightly greater variation in testis size than normal wild-type strains. In interracial hybrids, “strong” races show greater variation than “weak” races.
3. Testis size shows an increase in intraracial hybrids and a decrease in interracial hybrids as compared with that in parental stocks. The increase in the intraracial hybrids is maintained in successive generations of back-crossing in certain crosses, but disappears in other crosses. The decrease inF 1 interracial hybrids is great in the B♀ × A♂ cross, but slight and sometimes absent in the reciprocal cross. This decrease disappears with repeated back-crossing.
4. A complex interaction between complementary genetic factors in the hybrid chromosomes and the cytoplasm is assumed to be responsible for the apparently inconsistent behaviour of testis size in the various crosses. The modifying effect of the cytoplasm is assumed to be due to cytoplasmic differentiation conditioned by genic differentiation in the genetic system of the different geographical lines.
5. Sex-linked mutations have no general additive effect on testis size. Particular sex-linked mutant genes, however, do exert some effect on testis size; the data suggest that the qualitative differentiation of the gene complex as expressed by the presence of these genes may be responsible.
This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access.
Buy single article
Instant access to the full article PDF.
Price includes VAT for USA
Subscribe to journal
Immediate online access to all issues from 2019. Subscription will auto renew annually.
This is the net price. Taxes to be calculated in checkout.
Baker, H. S. (1934). “Influence of temperature on testis size inD. pseudo-obscura.”Amer. Nat. 69, 412–16.
Dobzhansky, Th. (1935). “TheY-chromosome ofD. pseudo-obscura.”Genetics,20, 366–76.
—— (1936). “Studies on hybrid sterility. II. Localization of sterility factors inD. pseudo-obscura hybrids.”Genetics,21, 113–35.
Dobzhansky, Th. &Boche, R. D. (1933). “Inter-sterile races ofD. pseudo-obscura Frol.”Biol. Zbl. 53, 314–30.
Koller, P. C. (1934). “Spermatogenesis inD. pseudo-obscura Frol. II. The cytological basis of sterility in hybrid males of races A and B.”Proc. roy. Soc. Edinb. 54, 67–87.
—— (1936). “Structural hybridity inD. pseudo-obscura hybrids.”J. Genet. 32, 79–102.
Lancefield, D. (1929). “A genetic study of crosses of two races or physiological species ofD. obscura.”Z. indukt. Abstamm.- u. VererbLehre,52, 287–317.
Tan, C. C. (1935). “Salivary gland chromosomes in the two races ofD. pseudo-obscura.”Genetics,20, 392–402.
About this article
Cite this article
Wu, J.S. Analysis of the testis size inDrosophila pseudo-obscura hybrids. Journ. of Genetics 35, 73 (1937). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02982315
- Reciprocal Cross
- Hybrid Generation
- Testis Size
- Hybrid Male
- Hybrid Chromosome