Improved Z-dependence of the ground-state energies of neutral atoms
- 28 Downloads
Threesimulated expressions are suggested regarding the Z-dependence of groundstate energies of neutral atoms at the Hartree-Fock, exact nonrelativistic and relativistic levels. The Hartree-Fock-level Z−1/3-expansion contains three previously derivedplus two newly derived terms, the latter signifying exchange corrections from the ‘inner core’ and the ‘core mantle’ of the Lieb atom. This leads to better agreement than any previous expression, with every coefficient being physically transparent. The Z-dependence of the correlation energy is obtained from a semiempirical Wigner-type correlation potential while the relativistic correction is taken to be in between the values suggested separately by Scott and Schwinger. Agreement with reference values is again better than before. It appears, however, that the atomic Z−1/3-expansion should not proceed beyond terms O(Z).
KeywordsZ−1/3-expansion atomic binding energy Thomas-Fermi theory exchange correlation energy single-particle density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ballinger R A and March N H 1955Philos. Mag. 46 246Google Scholar
- Ceperley D M and Alder B J 1978Phys. Rev. B18 3126Google Scholar
- Cowan R D 1981The theory of atomic structure and spectra (Berkeley: Univ. of California Press) p. 205Google Scholar
- Dirac P A M 1930Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 26 376Google Scholar
- Gross E K U and Dreizler R M 1981Z. Phys. A302 103Google Scholar
- March N H 1953Philos. Mag. 44 1193Google Scholar
- March N H 1957Adv. Phys. 6 1Google Scholar
- McWeeny R 1976 inThe new world of quantum chemistry (eds) B Pullman and R G Parr (Dordrecht: D Reidel) p. 27Google Scholar
- Scott J M C 1952Philos. Mag. 43 859Google Scholar
- Shakeshaft R, Spruch L and Mann J B 1981J. Phys. B14 L121Google Scholar
- Wilk L, Nusair M and Vosko S H 1981Can. J. Phys. 59 585Google Scholar