Activity of carbon and solubility of carbides in the FCC Fe-Mo-C, Fe-Cr-C, and Fe-V-C alloys
- 753 Downloads
The activity of carbon in austenitic Fe-Mo-C, Fe-Cr-C, and Fe-V-C alloys has been studied by equilibration with controlled CH4-H2 atmospheres at temperatures in the range 850° to 1200°C. The observations included a number of compositions in the two-phase fields, γ + carbide. Equations are given for the activity coefficient of carbon as a function of temperature and composition in the austenite field and from these the other thermodynamic properties of the solution may be computed as desired. The phase boundaries γ/γ + carbide were determined by breaks in the isoactivity lines. This was supplemented in the case of Fe-Mo-C alloys by metallographic linear analysis of equilibrated samples. The results confirm certain published phase diagrams and discredit others.
KeywordsCarbide Austenite Metallurgical Transaction Phase Boundary Activity Coefficient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.T. Nishizawa:Thermodynamic Study of Fe-C-Mn, Fe-C-Cr and Fe-C-Mo, Report 4602, Swedish Council for Applied Research, Stockholm, 1967.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Bungardt, E. Schürmann, H. Preisendanz, P. Schüler, and H.-J. Osing:DEW-Tech. Ber., 1969, vol. 9, pp. 439–62.Google Scholar
- 7.R. F. Campbell, S. H. Reynolds, L. W. Ballard, and K. G. Carroll:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1960, vol. 218, pp. 723–32.Google Scholar
- 8.H. Harvig and B. Uhrenius: Report of Materials Center, Royal Institute Tech-nology, TRITA-MAC-0008,1971.Google Scholar
- 9.R. T. Howard and M. Cohen:AIME Trans., 1947, vol. 172, pp. 413–26.Google Scholar
- 11.R. J. Brigham and J. S. Kirkaldy:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1963, vol. 227, p. 538.Google Scholar
- 13.J. Chipman and E. F. Brush:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1968, vol. 242, pp. 35–41.Google Scholar
- 16.R. R. Zupp and D. A. Stevenson:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1966, vol. 236, pp. 1316–23.Google Scholar
- 19.N. A. Savorstyanova and L. A. Shvartsman:Phys. Metals Metallogr., 1969, vol. 9, no. 4, p. 35, English ed.Google Scholar
- 21.W. A. West:Trans. AIME, 1946, vol. 167, pp. 535–49.Google Scholar