Cu(II) complexation of sulfanilamide derivatives
- 40 Downloads
the reaction of copper sulphate in alkaline medium and
the reaction of copper acetate in methanolic solution.
Based on the results of a study of the isolation and structure determination of Cu(II) sulfanilamide complexes a variant of reaction (1) is formulated and compared with reaction (1) and (2). The variant is more useful as a general identification test on sulfanilamides, without loss of selectivity. The selectivity of the reaction is based on a relationship between the observed colour and the nature of the sulfanilamide (especially theN- 1 substituent).
The colour formation of reaction (2) mostly differs from reaction (1) and the variant. Acetate acts as a deprotonating agent for the sulfanilamide. Solubility problems of the sulfanilamides prohibit the general application of reaction (2) as an identification test.
KeywordsColour Formation Sulfanilamide Copper Sulphate Copper Acetate Pharmaceutisch Weekblad Scientific Edition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bult, A., J. D. Uitterdijk andH. B. Klasen (1979)Transition Met. Chem., accepted for publication.Google Scholar
- Clarke, E. G. C. (1969, 1975)Isolation and identification of drugs, vol. 1 and vol. 2. The Pharmaceutical Press, London.Google Scholar
- European Pharmacopoeia (1969) Vol. 1. MaisonneuveSa, Sainte-Ruffine.Google Scholar
- Lee, W. K. (1963)Yakhak Hoeji 7, 13;via Chem. Abstr. (1965)63, 10297a.Google Scholar
- Nederlandse Farmacopee (1978) 8th edition. Staatsuitgeverij, 's-Gravenhage.Google Scholar
- Pharmacopoea Helvetica (1971) 6th edition. Drucksachen- und Materialzentrale, Bern.Google Scholar
- The United States Pharmacopeia (1975) 19th edition. United States Pharmacopeial Convention Inc., Rockville.Google Scholar