The influence of the 4- quinolones ciprofloxacin, pefloxacin and ofloxacin on the elimination of theophylline
- 20 Downloads
Pharmacokinetic parameters of the bronchodilator theophylline were assessed in eight patients with chronic obstructive lung disease when administered alone and when comedicated with ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily, ofloxacin 400 mg twice daily, or pefloxacin 400 mg twice daily.
Compared to the control period, in which only theophylline was administered, the total body clearance of theophylline decreased significantly during ciprofloxacin (30.4%) and pefloxacin (29.4%) coadministration, whereas no change of the renal clearance of theophylline occured. Ofloxacin did not influence the pharmacokinetic parameters of theophylline. From these observations it is concluded that ciprofloxacin and pefloxacin reduce the metabolic clearance of theophylline.
Key wordsCiprofloxacin Drug interactions Enoxacin Lung disease, obstructive Metabolic clearance Ofloxacin Pefloxacin Theophylline
- 1.Wijnands WJA, van Herwaarden CLA, Vree TB. Enoxacin raises plasma theophylline concentrations, Lancet 1984;II:108–9.Google Scholar
- 2.Wijnands WJA, Vree TB, van Herwaarden CLA. Enoxacin decreases the clearance of theophylline in man, Br J Clin Pharmac 1985;20:583–8.Google Scholar
- 3.Wijnands WJA, Vree TB, van Herwaarden CLA. The effect of the 4-quinolone enoxacin on plasma theophylline concentrations. Pharm Weekbl [Sci] 1986;8:42–5.Google Scholar
- 4.Davies BI, Maesen FPV, Teengs JP, Bauer C. The quinolones in chronic bronchitis. Pharm Weekbl [Sci] 1986;8:53–9.Google Scholar
- 6.Gushaw JB, Hu MW., Singh P, Miller JG, Schneider RS. Homogenous enzyme immunoassay for theophylline in serum, Clin Chem 1977 23:1144.Google Scholar
- 8.Logamann C, Ollnhaus EE. Enoxacin, a differential inhibitor of the microsomal liver enzyme system in men (Abstract). 26th ICAAC, New Orleans, 1986.Google Scholar
- 9.Staib AH, Stille W, Shah PM, Harder S, Mieke S, Beer Ch. Interaction between quinolones and caffeine (Abstract). First International Hoechst Symposium on Ofloxacin, Mainz, November 1986.Google Scholar
- 11.Fourtillan JB, Granier J, Saint-Salvie B, Salmon J, Surjus A, Tremblay D, Vincent du Laurier M, Beck S. Pharmacokinetics of ofloxacin and theophylline alone and in combination. Infection 1986;14:67.Google Scholar
- 12.Raoof S, Wollschlager C, Khan F. Serum theophylline levels are increased by ciprofloxacin (Bay 09867), a new quinolone antibiotic. Chest 1985;88:32.Google Scholar
- 13.Wijnands WJA, Vree TB, Baars AM, van Herwaarden CLA. Steady-state kinetics of the quinolone derivatives ofloxacin, enoxacin, cipofloxacin, and pefloxacin during maintenance treatment with theophylline. Drugs (in press).Google Scholar