Cultural and physiological studies of phytophthora parasitica dast. var. macrospora ashby, causing fruit rot of anona squamosa L.
- 35 Downloads
This paper gives an account of some cultural and physiological studies of an isolate ofPhytophthora parasiticaDast. var.macrosporaAshby, the causal agent of fruit rot ofAnona squamosa L. Among the various culture media studied, non-synthetic ones like oat meal agar, corn meal agar, lima-bean agar, carrot extract agar, soya-bean extract agar and steamed rice agar were the best, on which the organism showed marked growth and sporulation. Non-synthetic types were poor in this direction. Regarding the effect of various carbon sources, sucrose, lactose, maltose, raffinose, inulin, dextrin, dulcitol, glycogen, rhamnose and xylose supported growth and sporulation of the organism. Sodium nitrate, ammonium nitrate, magnesium nitrate, potassium nitrate, ammonium lactate and asparagin were the best sources of nitrogen. 6.5 was found to be the best pH for the growth and sporulation of the organism.
KeywordsXylose Inulin Phytophthora Ammonium Nitrate Sodium Nitrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Leonian, L. H. (1925). Physiological Studies on the genusPhytophthora. West Virginia agric. Expt. Sta. Sci. Paper11 444–498.Google Scholar
- Lilly, V. G. &Barnett, H. L. (1951). Physiology of the fungi. McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc. New York.Google Scholar
- Mehrotra, B. S. (1952). Physiological Studies in somePhytophthoras III. Carbon requirements. Abs. in Rev. appl. Mycol.31 199.Google Scholar
- Newton, R. &Lapatecki, L. E. (1954). The nutrition ofPhytophthora species. Abs. in Rev. appl. Mycol.32 312.Google Scholar
- Rao, V. G. Desai, M. K. &Kulkarni, N. B. (1962). A newPhytophthora fruit rot ofAnona squamosa from India. Plant Dis. Reptr.46 12: 874–876.Google Scholar
- Saksena, R. K. &Bhargava, K. S. (1943). Nitrogen requirements and vitamin deficiencies ofPhytophthora phaseoli Thaxter. Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. B.18 2: 45–51.Google Scholar
- Volkonsky, M. (1934). Sur la nutrition de quelques champignons saprophytes et parasites. Ann. Inst. Pasteur52 76–101.Google Scholar
- Wills, W. H. (1955). The utilization of carbon and nitrogen compounds byPhytophthora parasitica Dastur. var.nicotianae (Breda de Haan) Tucker. Abs. in Rev. appl. Mycol.34 822–823.Google Scholar