Pharmacokinetics of a single dose of ofloxacin in healthy elderly subjects using noncompartmental and compartmental models
- 26 Downloads
The pharmacokinetics of ofloxacin following a single 200 mg oral dose were studied in twelve healthy elderly volunteers. Relevant pharmacokinetic parameters were analysed by both noncompartmental and compartmental models. In compartmental analysis, the data on plasma concentrations was best described by an open two-compartment model. A zero-order absorption behaviour was found in some volunteers. The terminal half-lives were slightly prolonged and ranged from 6.2–11.6 h. A linear relationship was found between the renal clearance of the drug and the estimated creatinine clearance. Computer predictions of a multiple 200 mg dose regimen showed no important accumulation of ofloxacin. The recommendation of some authors that, in general, ofloxacin dosage may be halved in the elderly could not be confirmed. This has to be determined through further clinical experience in elderly ill subjects.
KeywordsAbsorption Aged Clearance, renal Models, theoretical Ofloxacin Pharmacokinetics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Cockcroft DW, Gault MH. Prediction of creatinine clearance from serum creatinine. Nephron 1976;6:31–41.Google Scholar
- 12.Hespe W, Verschoor JSC, Olthoff M. Bioavailability of new formulations of amoxicillin in relation to its absorption kinetics. Arzneimittelforsch/Drug Res 1987;37:372–5.Google Scholar
- 13.Gibaldi M, Perrier D. Pharmacokinetics. 2th ed. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc. 1982.Google Scholar
- 14.Veyssier P, Fourtillan JB, Modai J, et al. Pharmacocinétique de l'ofloxacine chez le sujet agé (65 à 85 ans) à fonction rénale normale après prise oral unique de 200 mg. Pathologie Biologie 1986;34:569–99.Google Scholar
- 15.Graber H, Ludwig E, Arr M, Lányi P. Difference in multiple-dose pharmacokinetics of oflaxacin in young and aged patients. International Symposium on new quinolones, Geneva, 1986 [Abstract].Google Scholar