Intercalation in hydrotalcite-like layered Zn/Al-double hydroxides with naphthalenedisulphonates
- 108 Downloads
Hydrotalcite-like layered Zn/Al-double hydroxides (Zn/Al-HTs) with one of three naphthalenedisulphonates (NijDSs) as an interlayer guest dianion, were obtained as precipitates from weak alkaline solutions of NijDS admixed with calcined host powder. Two values of interplanar spacing were observed in the powder X-ray diffraction patterns of NijDS-intercalated Zn/Al-HTs with two guest isomers. Intercalated materials have been characterized by means of UV-vis diffuse reflectance spectroscopy, differential thermal analysis/thermogravimetry and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. A model has been proposed in which the organic dianion at the interlayer gallery region bridges two Al3+ cations in neighbouring layers of double hydroxides. The guest molecules have an orientation perpendicular to the internal surface of the layers for all NijDS-intercalated materials. Another orientation has been suggested in which the molecules tilt from the perpendicular position for two isomers of NijDS.
KeywordsHydroxide Diffuse Reflectance Internal Surface Guest Molecule Interplanar Spacing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.T. Yamagishi, Y. Ooyagi andE. Narita,Nippon Kagaku Kaishi (1993) 329.Google Scholar
- 10.E. Narita, T. Yamagishi andK. Suzuki,Nippon Kagaku Kaishi (1992) 676.Google Scholar
- 11.K. Chibwe andW. Jones,J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun. (1989) 926.Google Scholar
- 12.I. Y. Park, K. Kuroda andC. Kato,Chem. Lett. (1989) 2057.Google Scholar
- 16.MOPAC ver. 5.00 (QCPE No. 445),J. J. P. Stewart,QCPE Bull. 9 (1989) 10.Google Scholar
- 17.T. Hirano,JCPE Newsletter 1 (1989) 36; revised as ver. 5.01 byJ. Toyata for Apple Macintosh.Google Scholar
- 18.D. W. J. Cruickshank andR. A. Sparks,Proc. R. Soc. (Lond.) A258 (1960) 270.Google Scholar
- 19.A. Streitwieser Jr, “Molecular orbital theory for organic chemist” (Wiley, New York, 1961) Ch. 8.Google Scholar
- 21.V. R. Allmann,Chimia 24 (1970) 99.Google Scholar