Power spectra of temperature and salinity fluctuations in the slope water off Cape Hatteras
- 54 Downloads
Eleven STD stations by lowering and raising the sensor were occupied about 170 n. miles northeast of Cape Hatteras in June, 1968. The stations were located in the slope water region covered by the upper warm water from the Gulf Stream. Power spectra of temperature and salinity fluctuations at 1-meter depth intervals were computed versus vertical wave numbers for the upper layer (5–320 m) and lower layer (320–1000 m) at each station. The power law coefficients of the spectra about the vertical wave number are between −5/3 and −3. These coefficients indicate that the temperature and salinity fluctuations are influenced by stratification as well as by turbulence.
KeywordsStratification Power Spectrum Lower Layer Warm Water Water Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. K. Batchelor,Small-scale variation of convected quantities like temperature in turbulent fluid-Pt. 1:General discussion and the case of small conductivity, J. Fluid Mech.5 (1959), 113–133.Google Scholar
- R. B. Blackman andJ. W. Tukey,The measurement of power spectra (Dover, N.Y. 1958), 190pp.Google Scholar
- J. W. Cooper andH. Stommel,Regularly spaced steps in the main thermocline near Bermuda, J. Geophys. Res.73 (18) (1968), 5849–5854.Google Scholar
- W. L. Ford, J. R. Long andR. E. Banks,On the nature, occurrence and origin of cold low salinity water along the edge of the Gulf Stream, J. Mar. Res.11 (1952), 281–293.Google Scholar
- H. L. Grant, R. W. Steward andA. Moilliet,Turbulence spectra from a tidal channel, J. Fluid Mech.12 (1962), 241–263.Google Scholar
- T. Ichiye,Occurrence of temperature inversions in the upper layer of the ocean, Pure and Applied Geophys. (PAGEOPH)67 (1967), 143–155.Google Scholar
- O. M. Phillips,The Dynamics of the upper ocean (Cambridge Univ. Press, 1968), pp. 222–235.Google Scholar
- G. I. Roden,Spectral analysis and interpretation of salinity-temperature-depth records, J. Geophys. Res.73 (1968), 535–539.Google Scholar
- G. I. Roden,Spectra of North Pacific temperature and salinity perturbations in the depth domain, J. Phys. Oceanog.1 (1971), 25–33.Google Scholar
- H. Stommel andK. N. Fedorov,Small-scale structure in temperature and salinity near Timor and Mindanao, Tellus19 (1967), 306.Google Scholar
- L. V. Worthington,Three detailed cross-sections of the Gulf Stream, Tellus6, (1954), 116–123.Google Scholar