Interaction between silicon carbide and a nickel-based superalloy at elevated temperatures
- 191 Downloads
A study has been made of the reaction of hot-pressed SiC and a nickel-based superalloy at temperatures between 700 and 1150° C. Under conditions of reduced oxygen pressure at the reaction interface, obtained by applying pressure to the couple, some degree of reaction was observed in both metal and ceramic at all temperatures studied. Preliminary studies utilizing the same techniques at 1000° C with a Si-SiC ceramic composite, Si3N4, MgO, Al2O3, and SiO2 also indicated some degree of reaction in the metal for all ceramics examined.
KeywordsReaction Zone Metal Matrix Composite Knoop Hardness Free Silicon Secondary Electron Scan Electron Microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. G. Metcalfe, editor, “Interface in Metal Matrix Composites” (Academic Press, New York, 1974).Google Scholar
- 2.K. G. Kreider, editor, “Metallic Matrix Composites” (Academic Press, New York, 1974).Google Scholar
- 3.R. F. Schneidmiller andJ. E. White, “Advanced Fibrous Reinforced Composites” Society of Aerospace Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE)10 (1966) E-53.Google Scholar
- 4.J. A. Cornie, C. S. Cook andC. A. Anderson, “Fabrication Process Development of SiC/Superalloy Composite Sheet for Exhaust System Components”, NASA-CR-134958 (1976).Google Scholar
- 5.P. Lamparter, S. Stub andA. Gukelberger,High Temp.-High Press. 3 (1971) 727.Google Scholar
- 10.G. V. Samanov, “Plenum Press Handbook of High-Temperature Materials — Property Index” (Plenum Press, New York, 1964).Google Scholar
- 11.R. B. Bolon andM. D. McConnell, in “Scanning Electron Microscopy 1976”, edited by O. Johari (Illinois Institute of Technology Research Institute (IITRI), Chicago, Illinois, 1976) pp. 163–70.Google Scholar
- 12.C. T. Sims andW. C. Hagel, editors, “The Superalloys” (Wiley, New York, 1972) p. 55.Google Scholar
- 13.1978 Powder Diffraction File, Publication SMA-28, International Center for Diffraction Data, Swarthmore, PA, Card 7-331.Google Scholar