We compare the free energies and currents of four trial states of3He-A in spherical geometries. The spherical boojum texture is found to be energetically stable for all container radii down to R ∼46ξ, where ξ is the superfluid coherence length. Textures with line defects in the bulk will become energetically favorable below this radius.
KeywordsFree Energy Coherence Magnetic Material Coherence Length Line Defect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. J. Leggett,Rev. Mod. Phys. 47, 331 (1975).Google Scholar
- 2.N. D. Mermin, inProceedings of Sussex Symposium, August 1976; and inQuantum Fluids and Solids, S. B. Trickey, E. D. Adams, and J. W. Duffy, eds. (Plenum, New York, 1977), p. 3.Google Scholar
- 3.P. W. Anderson and R. G. Palmer, inQuantum Fluids and Solids, S. B. Trickey, E. D. Adams, and J. W. Duffy, eds. (Plenum, New York, 1977), p. 23.Google Scholar
- 4.V. Ambegaokar, P. G. De Gennes, and D. Rainer,Phys. Rev. A 9, 2676 (1974).Google Scholar
- 5.N. D. Mermin and T.-L. Ho,Phys. Rev. Lett. 36, 594 (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.C. R. Hu,J. Low Temp. Phys. 30, 267 (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.D. Rainer and W. Serene,Phys. Rev. B 13, 4745 (1976).Google Scholar