Sintering chemical reactions to increase thermal conductivity of aluminium nitride
- 297 Downloads
Chemical reactions to increase thermal conductivity by decreasing oxygen contents during AlN sintering with an Y2O3 additive in a reducing nitrogen atmosphere with carbon were investigated. They were: Al2O3 + N2 + 3CO ⇋ 2AlN + 3CO2, Al2Y4O9 + N2 + 3CO ⇋ 2AlN + 2Y2O3 + 3CO2 and Y2O3 + N2 + 3CO ⇋ 2YN + 3CO2. Some of the CO2 gas reduced to CO gas in the presence of carbon by a chemical reaction: CO2 + C ⇋ 2CO. These reactions were confirmed by examining oxygen contents, the grain boundary phases of the sintered AlN, and the trapped CO and CO2 gases in the sintered bodies. These reducing reactions proceed with increasing sintering temperature and periods, and hence the thermal conductivity is increased.
KeywordsOxygen Content Sinter Temperature Increase Sinter Temperature Sintered Body Lower Oxygen Partial Pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.T. Sakai, M. Kuriyama, T. Inukai and T. Kijima, J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn 86 (1978) 30.Google Scholar
- 4.N. Kuramoto, H. Taniguchi, Y. Numata and I. Aso, ibid. 93 (1985) 517.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Kurosawa, K. Utsumi and H. Takamizawa in Proceedings of Symposium on the Basic Science of Ceramics, Ceramics Society of Japan, Sendai (Japan 1986) p. 174.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Shinozaki, K. Anzai, T. Takano, A. Tsuge and K. Komeya in Proceedings of Symposium on the Basic Science of Ceramics. Ceramics Society of Japan, Kyoto (Japan 1984) p. 43.Google Scholar
- 8.K. Komeya, H. Ohta, K. Shinozaki, H. Inoue and A. Tsuge, ibid.in p. 44.Google Scholar
- 9.K. Shinozaki and A. Tsuge, Bull. Ceram. Soc. Jpn. 21 (1986) 1130.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Kasori, A. Horiguchi, F. Ueno and A. Tsuge, in Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Ceramics Society of Japan, Nagoya, Japan, (1987) p. 967.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Horiguchi, M. Kasori, F. Ueno and A. Tsuge, ibid. p. 969.Google Scholar
- 16.W. D. Kingery, H. K. Bowen and D. R. Uhlman, in “Introduction to Ceramics”, (John Wiley, New York, 1960) p. 504.Google Scholar
- 20.M. Uda, S. Ohno and H. Okuyama, J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn 95 (1987) 76.Google Scholar